The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Convert Lux meter to PAR meter?
View Single Post
post #141 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Today my one foot length of 1 1/2 inch dia acrylic tube arrived, and with some difficulty I cut off a piece for the housing. First I found that the vendor had not cut the tube square on both ends, so I marked off a 21/32" length and used a small plastic miter box from HD and a hack sawa to cut it off. My cut was 1/32 out of square. So, I cut about a sixteenth of an inch off taking care to keep it square, then hand sanded it so it was square. I then clamped a "stop" to the miter box 11/16 inch from the blade, and cut that while slowly rotating the tube with the end hard against the stop. That worked very well, so after sanding to clean it up, I have my housing.

Next problem: the tube is 1 1/4" ID and the cylinder from the lux meter is also 1 1/4 " OD, so it won't fit inside the tube. Tomorrow I will sand either the inside of the tube or the outside of the cylinder until they fit together. (Probably inside the tube so I don't have to handle that lux meter cylinder any more than necessary.) As with any DIY project, each step hands you another little problem.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome