The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brooklyn Aquarium Society 10/12

18K views 218 replies 28 participants last post by  furnfins 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to this. I don't actually need anything, but at the last Big Auction they had repashy and Yourfishstuff vendors and I stocked up on food. Cheap. Besides, I'll be downtown that evening anyway, so I might as well.

Of course if you want to take bets that I come home with something that swims or scuttles, I can't blame you.

I'm no acitydweller, but I figured I'd see if anyone was interested and then, if so, if they want to swap anything.[STRIKE] I have work earlier that day, so I probably won't be bringing livestock, but I can do plants.[/STRIKE]I'm taking off that day, so let me know if you want;

Baby albino bristlenose plecos,
H. formosa fry (I don't have a jillion anymore, but I can spare a few)
Assassin snails
Other snails, the kind that breed out of control if you let them
Watersprite
Java moss
Java fernlets
Various floaters
I have other plants but I either forgot or never knew what they were called, one of these days I should have one of you plant experts over to ID them for me.

I forgot to mention that these auctions usually have awesome deals on tanks. Savvy buyers are used to paying a dollar a gallon on craigslist or Petco, but I've seen tanks with wooden stands and hoods go for less than that at these auctions.

For the sake of full disclosure, it is a trek to get there. There is free parking though, for those of you who drive.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I've considered bringing a flask to aquarium meetings but two things always hold me up.

1 - I don't want to go on a drunken shopping spree.

2 - I don't want to go down in any aquarium club annals as the only guy to ever be ejected for drunken hooliganism.

#13 ·
I'm interested in going but not really set on it being as though if be coming from the BX and taking public Transit. Nor I'm totally intrigued because if the chance of some nice bettas. Its getting really expensive importing them by the pair to get nice looking babies. Eh idk I'll confound tofollow thus thread to see.

#16 ·
Meowkitty49 if you come and have to leave before the auction is over I'll be glad to drive you to the train so you don't have to walk by yourself. It's a Friday night I can't believe the trains stop running so early, then again I think it's been at least 15 years since I've been on a train. And that goes for anyone else wanting a ride to or from, I'll be glad to take you to a train or home if you're on this side of Brooklyn.

#17 ·
its a shame that BAS has so many great members who do alot of breeding and things but the forum is so dead. I figured with so many breeders and things going on that more people would be on the site. I think they have two senior members who breed bettas who is always at the events. People could just come and look at whats going to be up for auction and if nothing sparks your interest, leave. I'm going to try and bring some plants, snails and other things to give up for auction. It goes to a good cause.

#19 ·
BAS is pretty late to the game as far as technology is concerned. I remember offering to make a website for them about 15 years ago...

I am going to renew (or join again, it has been so long). Do you know if they take advantage of email and send out email alerts and updates?

Alfred

#21 ·
BAS is pretty late to the game as far as technology is concerned. I remember offering to make a website for them about 15 years ago...

I am going to renew (or join again, it has been so long). Do you know if they take advantage of email and send out email alerts and updates?

Alfred
I don't know if they're doing that yet, I still have another year to go, but they are doing email for the monthy newsletters etc. which started late last year. You can join up at the auction if you want to and they'll probably have your card by the end of the night.

#23 ·
For anyone who wants to go, they definitely should check it out! You never know what kind of awesome deal there might be. A couple of us decided to stay for a few auctions on wednesday night and we ended up staying for the whole thing! Lol it was really fun.

Jellie and I will be carpooling to the auction. For anyone in queens, I live in elmhurst, so if anyone wants to hitch a ride, I have three seats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

#31 · (Edited)
BTW! So I've been asked to set up a lesson plan surrounding this tank-build in the Kindergartener's classroom. I want to bring in samples of things like mini critters, like planaria, hydra, seed shrimp, copepods, scuds... and different algaes, like hair algae, cladophora, anything else I can bottle up and bring.

So this wishlist is going to be a little bit gross but if you have them and are willing, could you catch some and bring to the BAS Auction? I'm looking for:

Big Planarias
Big Hydras
Copepods
Pond/Bladder snails
Malaysian trumpet snails
Assassin snail
Any other little critters that are visible via magnifying glass
(I already have seed shrimp, blackworms, and ramshorns, and Albert may hook me up with scuds)

And greens for them to manhandle:
Something covered in BBA or other fuzzy algaes
Cladophora clump
Staghorn algae
Green spot algae on a leaf or rock
Java moss
Anyone have a moss ball that I could borrow and return? Kids love moss balls... I promise to replace it if it gets torn apart.
And anything else that you think a 5-yr-old would find epic...
(I already have a big clump of hair algae heehee)

EDIT: big quantities are very welcome, lol, gross I know.
Additions to the wishlist:
Shrimp molts
nematodes
Springtails

#34 ·
I want to bring in samples of things like mini critters, like planaria, hydra, seed shrimp, copepods, scuds... and different algaes, like hair algae, cladophora, anything else I can bottle up and bring.

So this wishlist is going to be a little bit gross but if you have them and are willing, could you catch some and bring to the BAS Auction? I'm looking for:

Big Planarias
Big Hydras
Copepods
Pond/Bladder snails
Malaysian trumpet snails
Assassin snail
Any other little critters that are visible via magnifying glass
(I already have seed shrimp, blackworms, and ramshorns, and Albert may hook me up with scuds)

And greens for them to manhandle:
Something covered in BBA or other fuzzy algaes
Cladophora clump
Staghorn algae
Green spot algae on a leaf or rock
Java moss
Anyone have a moss ball that I could borrow and return? Kids love moss balls... I promise to replace it if it gets torn apart.
And anything else that you think a 5-yr-old would find epic...
(I already have a big clump of hair algae heehee)
Hi Jellie, I have assassins, mts and pond snails, plus a few kinds of little ramshorns, probably several kinds of algae and I might have a mossball hiding in a tank somewhere too.

I've decided to take off work because I was feeling left out, so I'm down for full festivities next Friday.:)

#39 ·
Yes please to all! I'll take as much as I can get.

I also just updated the list to include nematodes and shrimp molts. I'm thinking that I'll break the class up into 5 groups of 4 kids, or 4 groups of 5 kids, and each group should have a sample of each, if I can collect enough.

#45 ·
Either way, I want to start some terrestrial vivs and everything I've read says springtails are useful critters. If they turn out to not be springtails, I'll never know.

I think I would go and I am only maybe 10 minutes drive from there....:) How does the auction work? You pay with cash, checks, or credit cards???
If I recall correctly it's cash only. At least I don't remember anyone paying another way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.