The Planted Tank Forum banner

So Iphone 5 Whose getting it?

8K views 148 replies 52 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 ·
Just like the title says whose preordering it? What are your thoughts? Please Iphone and android guys keep it clean.

#12 ·
I'm going to get it once I get enough money. My dad doesn't like that kind of technology so I get his upgrade. I use the 3GS right now and I hate it. It was a great phone...3 years ago.

#15 ·
Am I the only one that doesn't like the taller design? Seem odd and I prefer the symmetrical design better. I also notice they don't have the 4G at 16 GB anymore. With the ability to play videos, 8 gig really doesn't cut it. Apple has to add a Memory slot and for go this limit of 8 - 16 - 32 gb.

Other phones have the slot, you can just buy a 32 gig SD card and be done with it. No more upgrades to a different phone, which I think is just wasteful when Apple praises itself on being Green.

- iPhone 4G owner.

#16 ·
Granted I use an android galaxy s3. but I am a, tech junkie at heart. not that impressed with the iphone 5.... spec wise. I really was expecting more from them especially with the current competition.

Oh and had to share this when I googled for specs yesterday

Made me lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#18 ·
The thing is, yes it may be faster, but who's going to write apps just for it. Not many. It has all this power and no apps to take advantage of it because app writers will write apps that work on phones from the 3GS to the 5. It's like buying a Ferarri and living in downtown New York and working there as well. When are you ever going to get the thing out of first?

Same goes with their fancy "retina" resolution display. How many apps are retina only yet? Probably not a lot, they are mostly for at least 3G or 3GS resolution and up.

But if you have no problem pre-ordering some $800 phone with specs that no apps will take full advantage of and cost about $9 in labor to make at sweat labor - slave shops like Foxcomm, just to help Apple further become the richest company in the world, then pre-order away.

#21 ·
These are like the blood diamonds of the mobile phone world. Must be something unkosher @ the foxcomm factory with a string of suicides happening. If you havent seen the reports on engadget, gizmodo, or the news then you must live under a rock. seriously?

Geto has a right to his opinion. Personally i have a dozen apple products but i'm not a fanboy of these devices for the mere fact that you cant replace these stupid batteries so easily without tearing the device apart. me being an owner of several ipod touches of every generation and upgrading whenever the stpid headphone jack or battery poopers out. call it convenience to sticking to what works if you will but i'd ditch itunes and apple at a drop of the hat.

I'm seriously considering alternatives like the Cowon x9 the Sony x800 (android based), Z series or cowan players for performance, features and fidelity.

#22 · (Edited)
I skipped the 4s just to be eligible for the upgrade pricing for this thing. Ordered it early this morning in white. Can't wait to get it. I locked in a price at Gazelle for my old iPhone 4 before resale prices fell after the announcement - all told, the new one will cost me $35. Yay.

Why can't iPhone bashers live and let live? I don't like Droid phones - my fiance has one, yes, I've tried using it. Sheesh, he even asks ME how to use the thing. His isn't very user-friendly! But hey, if you like them - they do have their merits, then we can still be friends.

It's just silly to argue specs of a PHONE. Android vs iPhone and Mac vs PC wars are so stoopid! I like what I like. I don't even drink Apple koolaid - I hate Macs (I love my Dell)...if you like them, that's cool...it's nice having choices. I do love my iPad though...blows my rooted HP Touchpad and rooted Nook Color out of the water.

The iPhone is easy to use. That's why I like it. I've had one since the 3G. I don't need a monster screen because I like to put the phone in my pocket. Yes, I'm a girl and could stick it in a purse, but...I don't always carry a purse :p

#24 ·
I'm not a fan of the fanbois (or fangirls). People will line up overnight to buy the new iPhone for no reason other than to have it. They're not going to use the extra processing power, angry birds doesn't need the new A6 processor. lol. If people have a true reason for wanting it, they use it for work and the extra processing will help when logged in to their VPN, then great. The problem is 95% of them will buy it because they think they need it, and to have it. Guess I can applaud Apple's marketing there, from that point of view, I can admire Apple, they made a great customer base of sheep.

I was reading a review where someone was at the launch yesterday, saying the new iPhone 5 feels so much lighter than their old clunky 4GS. It's 6 grams difference and all of a sudden their 4GS is too clunky for them. Get real, that's the mentality of the fan-people that I don't like.

Acitydweller, that's one of the reasons I don't like any apple hardware. You can't change the battery on them or open them up at all. Parts are a pain to replace. I want to replace the battery in my Galaxy S 4G, I open the back and put a new one in. 10s, done. Their new Macbooks, you can't even upgrade your RAM. PC laptops, unscrew a door, add new RAM, enjoy. 2 mins, done. I want to add a song to my Android phone, mount, copy, paste, 2 mins done. No stupid iTunes software I'm forced to use.

From a business point of view, Apple is great. They sell way overpriced stuff in a bit sleaker case and people lap it up. I can build a pc or laptop for the 3rd of what Apple charges for one with the same specs.

As for the Foxcomm thing, really a lot of our electronics are made there or in similar conditions, so we're all guilty of supporting that kind of sweat-shop labor for our own needs. As for the suicide thing, they installed bars on the windows and nets on the ground to help that :D

Anyways, if you need the new features of the iPhone, grab one. If want it to have it, think twice about camping out for it and spend your money on plants and shrimp instead. lol.

#27 ·
From a business point of view, Apple is great. They sell way overpriced stuff in a bit sleaker case and people lap it up. I can build a pc or laptop for the 3rd of what Apple charges for one with the same specs.

As for the Foxcomm thing, really a lot of our electronics are made there or in similar conditions, so we're all guilty of supporting that kind of sweat-shop labor for our own needs. As for the suicide thing, they installed bars on the windows and nets on the ground to help that :D

Anyways, if you need the new features of the iPhone, grab one. If want it to have it, think twice about camping out for it and spend your money on plants and shrimp instead. lol.
I'm with you. I've had to change my blackberry battery every 8 months due to heavy use and inability to keep a full charge. My touch and ipad 1 & 3 is hacked with appz for things i use. There's generally two camps, users with app collectoritis that know nothing about how to use anything, or people who just have zero apps other than the default.
Yeah there are a few folks that are tech affecionado but most guys i talk to reveal their fanboihood within the first 5 min...

iphoners arent the only posers as die hard blackberry users curse our phones but neglect to do their patches and updates or even know how to reboot their phones with the keyboard. All these thing really come down to the people and the products that sculpt them. its not always the tech at fault.

Just to be PC, Apple is great for creating platform products with style and largely design their products around creative folks. Unfortunately a large portion of their fan base are not the creative-type and fixated on nothing other than style, which is fine. Regardless of our opinions, Apple gets paid and those steel bars on the Foxcomm windows serve their purpose each day.

#26 ·
I, for one, am not a sheep. That's insulting to call all or most people who are upgrading/like Apple sheep.

Come on now. I think I'm relatively tech savvy - I root my stuff, jailbreak my phones, keep up with tech bogs, and I read reviews too. I tried the fiance's Droid. I can safely say I prefer the iPhone.

Plus, I would never camp out for a phone. Not all of us iPhone people would. I avoid lines like the plague.

I don't like Macs because I do think they're overpriced. My Dell does what a Mac could for half the price. I just want to say, please don't generalize.

My iPhone 4 is ok, sure. But who doesn't want bigger, better, faster, more? The camera on my 4 is SLOW for one thing. Yes, the longer screen sounds appealing...glad it isn't wide like some phones out now. I have little pockets, they wouldn't fit!

I'm not upgrading just to have the new shiny thing or I would've had the iPhone 4s. It wasn't a big enough jump for me to upgrade.

#30 ·
lol. Ya, I'm not trying to be hostile and as I said, if you need it or are going to use the new features, then go for it. Sadly, that's not the majority of iWhatever users who don't even use their iPhone 3 to it's fullest and only have Angry Birds installed and don't know nothing about nothing who act like their are "leet" because they have an iPhone. I run a repair shop and am heavy into tech, tech forums, tech sites, tech news, etc, so I see the mentality maybe a lot more than the average person, but the apple fan-person culture and mentality is strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.