The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 29 gal family living room tank updated 4/9/13

14K views 83 replies 17 participants last post by  zzrguy 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have this disorder called Iwantone. My buddy has a really nice Planted tank and I like it a lot. So now I want one. Petco had a sale I got the Aqueom deluxe kit for $69 it was $85 out the door tax it came with a 17 watt bulb, a HOB filter, and a heater. Now I need a stand.

There was a Nutra-Fin CO2 setup in the clearance rack I got that for $3. as well as Eco-complete and Fora-Max I got 3 bags of each for $1.50 a bag I hope its enough to do the tank.

I've been keeping fish in small tanks a 3 gal bowl[Betta and a shrimp] and a 5.5 gal tank{Chiclids and a Loache} both tanks have planted so I'll use them. The 5.5 tank I'm going to thin out to use in the new tank and all the plants from the bowl are go in the new tank. The 5.5 gal is going to be the Betta new tank. I'll add the list of plant when I get home so what else am I going to need.

See less See more
#4 ·
So I'm think of seeding the tank use the whisper 10 hob filter I have in the 5 gal. I have a nano filter I am going to use on the 5 gal when it becomes the betas new home (the flow rate is adjustable ) so I was going to start running it on the 5gal with the other filter. How long do you think it will take to cycle the nano filter?

Does anyone think I'll kill the Whisper10 I plan to run on the 29gal to seed it or am I look at this all wrong?

#5 ·
OK so heres a list of plants I own.

Anubias Congensis (Anubias Barteri var. Congensis)
Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens)
Sword (Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius )
Aqua Fern (Trichomanes javanicum)
Asian Water-fern (Bolbitis heteraclita)
Lesser duckweed (Lemna minor)
Antler fern/Hooker (Ceratopteris Pteridoides)

#6 ·
Well today was my lucky day I was picking up my paycheck and bam right there in front of me was a tank and stand free-o is for me-o. So now i have everything I need to setup the tank.

So stay tuned.

#9 ·
Well I set it up last night and it has some bubble in it but they are clearing up.

The substrate is Eco-Complete With a slite high spot on the left side under the filter I have about 2 inch of substrate do you think I need more I have an other bag.

#12 ·
Well just did a water test.
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate {Im guessing it from the Eco-Complete}
7.8 PH

I'm going to Change out about 4 gal with water from one of my other tank that been up and running for about 6 mounth and is running good some filter media is come over to. all the fish are healthy so i think that will give the tank a little boost.

#17 ·
Thanks I'm going with a river bank kind of deal we have some rocks from a river in the Smoky Mountain that the kids gather just for the tank so I going to try and a channel in the side I thought about goin down the middle but I think the side will look great. I added the API Quick Start and water from the other tanks. I put in the other bag and will let it settle in overnight I'm going to put the Root-Tabs in, in the morning and some plants.

What are anaerobic spots?

#18 ·
When a substrate is too thick, water (and thus oxygen) can't reach the deepest parts, allowing anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that can't live in the presence of oxygen) to colonize there. Some anaerobic bacteria are good and will lower your nitrate levels, but others will produce sulfuric gas that can (theoretically) hurt your fish if the substrate is disturbed. I'm not sure, but I think it can also damage plant roots.

There's a little bit of debate on whether or not anaerobic spots are actually harmful and what is the best way to prevent them. You can stir the substrate weekly, get trumpet snails to burrow in it (however, these can become a nuisance), or plant thickly and let the plant roots oxygenate it.

#20 · (Edited)
Well here she is with the other bag looks much better till I put in the root tab muck up the water. I use the API root tabs they barely made it to the bottom before they started to dissolve is that normal and is the Sachem tabs better?

Well here the first plants in the tank that little green patch it is Red Ludwigia and that little thingy in front was a tiny Anubias Congensis till I drop it try to put it in the tank hopefully it grows back

I dosed it with flourish before I left for work more plant from the other tank going this week. I'll check the Parameters on Tues.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Thought I fixed that earlier. How about now?

Just did and test
.25ppm ammonia
.not 0ppm nitrite but not a number
80ppm nitrate

More little Red Ludwiga going in tomorrow when get home from the 911 services in Manhattan.

343 I can never forget.

#24 ·
Ok tested it today
.25 ammonia
.25 nitrite
40 nitrates
So I'm assuming I have all these numbers because I used water from the other tanks and add API QUICK-START. I was planning to use some filter media from the chiclid tank and move the chiclids over very soon. I may give it a day or so and see if the numbers come down. I plan on a 50% water change on Saturday maybe drop the fish in then.

Sound like a good plan?

#26 · (Edited)
Well went in to my daughter room to see how everything was going the Betta is on his way out 1 shrimp dead and the last three not looking happy. Water test 0,0,10 the fish is 2 years old had a nitrite spike last week when one of the shrimp died and the algae blow up when I was at work. moved the Beta to a sick bowl {WC everyday Betta fix everyday}. the shrimp where move to the chiclid tank one became a snack the one is not look good the last one looks good. Do zebra loaches eat shrimp?{hope not}broke down the Bowl all the plants from the bowl went in the 29gal. I broke up the red Luwdgia and add the other asian water fern. The chiclids went in as well and the lava rock. Hope that it brought some BB with it. The filter media from the other tank is in the bubble filter.

Attachments

#28 ·
I hope you didn't shove them in a tank with ammonia
Unforturnetly yes they are I put prime in the tank and I'm going to do a water change later tonight. They have eaten and are swing around normaly so I guessing they are tuff little buggers. i was trying to wait but the emergency shut down of the betta tank moved my time line ahead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.