Regulator Nipple ID - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Regulator Nipple ID

Trying to figure out what adapter this is on a Victor HPT270. It's not a 320, and obviously not a 580, just trying to figure out if I should swap it out for a 320 stem entirely, or if there is an M -> 320 F adapter that would work with this one.

Anyone have a clue what this is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

cga 023?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 17 tanks(72 bowfront, 2x55's, 2x29's, 2x20 highs, 20 long, 30 long, 38, 7x10's) many of which are planted; and a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank at work along with a few empty tanks here and there to be set up eventually!.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Plant Clown

Not sure what it is. An adapter, if you found one that worked, would make the inlet pretty long. I'd just remove it entirely (pipe wrench works best in my experience, ideally in conjunction with a bench vise) and replace. If you don't mind the color, a brass nipple and nut from Western Enterprises (AirGas is a WE retailer) should cost $10 or less.

That nut likely will slide down the nipple so you can get at the nipple. You may have to smack it on a hard surface or twist it down. Can't see inside, but is there a washer crammed in there?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Not sure what it is. An adapter, if you found one that worked, would make the inlet pretty long. I'd just remove it entirely (pipe wrench works best in my experience, ideally in conjunction with a bench vise) and replace. If you don't mind the color, a brass nipple and nut from Western Enterprises (AirGas is a WE retailer) should cost $10 or less.

That nut likely will slide down the nipple so you can get at the nipple. You may have to smack it on a hard surface or twist it down. Can't see inside, but is there a washer crammed in there?
No, it's a filter screen and a tapered surface, looks similar to a 580 with a slightly larger hole and screen in the middle.

Anyway, I'll just swap it out, I didn't even think of how long this would end up with an adapter if even one exists. Hopefully this one comes off relatively easy. Last one of these I did was ridiculously difficult to remove.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep View Post
Trying to figure out what adapter this is on a Victor HPT270. It's not a 320, and obviously not a 580, just trying to figure out if I should swap it out for a 320 stem entirely, or if there is an M -> 320 F adapter that would work with this one.

Anyone have a clue what this is?
CONCOA CGA Connection Reference Chart

Pretty sure it is not a 320.. Just replace it..

err side says Oxygen.. Let me guess..CGA 540...

also the reg may not go much past 30 psi.. Victor usually put "double range" gauges on..So 60psi gauge means reg. tops out at 30...ish..maybe

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-05-2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have any trouble or lack tools to change it out, I might be able to help as I'm somewhat close. I pick the nipples and nuts up from a local shop to avoid waiting and paying shipping. Give me a PM is it gives you problems.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
CONCOA CGA Connection Reference Chart

err side says Oxygen.. Let me guess..CGA 540...

also the reg may not go much past 30 psi.. Victor usually put "double range" gauges on..So 60psi gauge means reg. tops out at 30...ish..maybe
Facepalm... Pretty obvious now.

I typically only run 10 - 20 on the output so 30 should be fine. Makes the gauge usable as well.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
If you have any trouble or lack tools to change it out, I might be able to help as I'm somewhat close. I pick the nipples and nuts up from a local shop to avoid waiting and paying shipping. Give me a PM is it gives you problems.
Thanks. I'll let you know. The last one I did was in pretty used shape, so hopefully this goes smoother.

What shop do you go to locally? I couldn't find the right part at granger so I was going to order online but would be easier to get local.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good enough. Sometimes it feels wrong to ask for this type of help so thought I might offer first?
I was downtown so went with going to a shop on Chicon but if you are in different part of town, I would do a few calls to ask if the closer guys might have them.
CGA320 nut and nipple?
Alamo Welding Supply Co
Welding Supply Store

Welder gear store offering equipment, tools, protective clothing, accessories & repair parts.

613 Chicon St
(512) 476-9400

Open until 5:00 PM
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you have any advice for removing the stem? Haven't gone crazy but appears this one is going to be like the last one I did. I have it in a bench vice and a 16" pipe wrench on the stem. It's not slipping at all, but not turning either. Just want to avoid shearing the stem off if I really get on it.

This one has teflon on the threads so I was a bit apprehensive of heating the stem up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

bigger pipe wrench...
jestep likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That part seems to be in there pretty good at times. I totally unwrapped one getting it off. But then when about to quit, I had torn it up so bad there was nothing to lose and used a Dremel tool to cut close to all the inside of the nipple out so I could crush the remains.
Normally we would want to heat the outer fitting to make it expand but that isn't always a good idea on regs since we can get too hot for the internals. But in this case, if you have a torch handy, it may break loose if you heat the nipple and then wet it to cool it quick.
Nothing like finding a 15 minute job working over into a few days?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally got it. I think it's the tapered threads on the stem that makes these so nasty when they've been on there for a long time. Amazingly I had better luck with a strap wrench on the body and the pipe wrench on the stem.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep View Post
Finally got it. I think it's the tapered threads on the stem that makes these so nasty when they've been on there for a long time. Amazingly I had better luck with a strap wrench on the body and the pipe wrench on the stem.
The tapered threads are what is the "primary" seal.. Metal to metal...

w/ the right cut NPT threads, sealants are unnecessary (albeit more for the good old days, not cheap Chinese cut threads).
Teflon was initally used as a lubricate and something to allow easier removal of said parts, not to seal. Just so happens it helps..

Glad you got it..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode