Anyway to generate CO2 and fill your own pressurized tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyway to generate CO2 and fill your own pressurized tanks?

Just wondering there was some way to:

1. Make a giant vat of CO2 generation solution
2. Capture and store it
3. Pressurize it and fill a tank
4. Profit

It would be nice, since it would have the cost saving measures of DIY CO2 and the convenience of pressurized rig.

Anybody heard of anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have done that before I got my first CO2 cylinder.

CO2 - The Madhatter's DIY

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's pretty awesome, and kind of what I was talking about but not entirely. The generation part yes, but I was wondering if there was a way to take that capture and pressurized it into a CO2 tank.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadmanysons View Post
I was wondering if there was a way to take that capture and pressurized it into a CO2 tank.
I dont think there would be any easy way to pressurize it to the point of what you normally see in a co2 tank (up to 1000 psi). I'm sure the potential cost would far outweigh the benefit.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 17 tanks(72 bowfront, 2x55's, 2x29's, 2x20 highs, 20 long, 30 long, 38, 7x10's) many of which are planted; and a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank at work along with a few empty tanks here and there to be set up eventually!.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

CO2 is very cheap. The cost of refilling a tank is mostly the labor and profit cost, not the CO2 cost. Your labor and equipment cost to pressurize CO2 to the liquid stage, about 800 psi, would be way beyond any savings you might eventually get.

Hoppy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How much would a decent sized CO2 tank be? Say one that would feed a 55gal for six months
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 12:33 AM
Plant Clown

Quote:
How much would a decent sized CO2 tank be? Say one that would feed a 55gal for six months
A 10# cylinder might do a 55g for 6 months. A 20# would be good for closer to a year. figure $70-90 for a new 10# empty aluminum cylinder, plus shipping. Aquariumplants.com has cylinders, and there's somebody in the For Sale forum selling them as well. Aluminum is cheaper than SS, and looks nicer, but will get dinged up more easily. Industrial supply places swap cylinders more often than fill them (and will sell them as well), so you'd want a cheap SS cylinder if you go that route. Depends on where you're going to get your CO2 from.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, CO2 is cheap. Because most places just swap cylinders, one will basically last you forever.

I have a 20 lb. CO2 cylinder I bought 20 years ago. Originally I had steel, but they swapped it for aluminum eventually. Refills started out at $20 and have gone up to $30 over the years. Each refill lasts me for over a year.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Take the valve off the tank, crush 10lbs of dry ice, pour it in. Reattach valve. It will pressurize itself..

sorry couldn't resist..

If you want to liquify what you generate:
Quote:
Carbon dioxide is liquefied by compressing and cooling, liquefying at a pressure of approximately 870 lb/in 2 (395 kg/cm 2 ) at room temperature.
Read more: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-7/Dry-...#ixzz3pp76Q4J1

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-28-2015 at 02:54 AM. Reason: edit
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Take the valve off the tank, crush 10lbs of dry ice, pour it in. Reattach valve. It will pressurize itself..

sorry couldn't resist..

If you want to liquify what you generate:

Read more: How dry ice is made - material, manufacture, history, used, processing, parts, product, industry, machine, History
This seems dangerous, but I'm intrigued as well. What kind of pressures could a cylinder withstand?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:39 PM
No more Bow ties

Quote:
This seems dangerous, but I'm intrigued as well. What kind of pressures could a cylinder withstand?
No, you don't want to remove the tank valve. jeffkrol was joking.
You don't want to mess around with pressurized gas.

Get your pressurized CO2 from a licensed professional. They routinely check the tanks you swap so they don't leak or blow up.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is this the same as how when I was a little kid we would take old camera film casings, put some water in them, throw in a Alka-Seltzer tab, cap it and shake it up?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Is this the same as how when I was a little kid we would take old camera film casings, put some water in them, throw in a Alka-Seltzer tab, cap it and shake it up?
Similar, but with slightly more death
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
No, you don't want to remove the tank valve. jeffkrol was joking.
You don't want to mess around with pressurized gas.

Get your pressurized CO2 from a licensed professional. They routinely check the tanks you swap so they don't leak or blow up.
Yes I was joking..
By the time you get the CO2 in a state that can be easily transferred from one place to another (liquified, pressurized and weighed) you will have added more cost than it is worth.

IF by some chance you have managed to liquify and store your home made CO2 to a pressure of 600psi then you could "in theory" just do the reverse of this:

https://youtu.be/po3TIaMmyAU

BUT again, not economical nor very safe....
At least you don't need to remove the main valve and just pressure siphon your liquid CO2 from one bottle to another..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode