The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cerges Reactor + In-Line Diffuser?

9K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Teebo 
#1 ·
I have been doing some research into these reactors and I notice everyone uses a T before the reactor to feed CO2 into the water line at a very low pressure with nothing to diffuse it at all just straight into the line. Why aren't people using in-line diffusers to pre-diffuse the CO2 before the reactor??

I realize this type of glass diffuser requires high pressure to work because the stone is fine, but what about this plastic style is the stone any coarser?

Even a low pressure air stone meant for an oxygen pump inside the T must be better than nothing right?? I am limited on space under my tank and so I will not be able to use a house water filter canister, I need to build something narrower and smaller so some sort of pre-diffusion should really help with a small reactor size, after all I am only using a tiny SUNSUN HW-603B canister filter with a 15 gallon tank.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It would be better to break up the bubbles for faster diffusion but it's not needed for a cerges or Rex. The gases are smashed & diffused inside these chambers. These inlines are for canister filters usually. For a HOB, you'll need to break up the bubbles for diffusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
From my experience, you are correct. If I run greater than 10 bps with my current flow rate from the canister filter, I can generate a bubble in the top of the reactor (i.e., not enough flow to pound the cO2 into submission). If the reactor has larger water flow passages and the cO2 was pre-diffused, then you could likely run 1 reactor on a 180 gallon tank. The video below is about 5-7 bps. As you can see, none of the bubbles make it down to the bottom and up the draw tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LunleNWDeIo

#6 ·
I do not use HOB's in the tanks I am referring to using this reactor on, if I understand correctly the bubbles float to the top of the reactor and smash against the top because they can not escape with it capped off so I can see how it may not be necessary now.

I went to the hardware store and I want the size of the under sink canister but they do not use 3/4" piping, I need a very narrow canister to fit.

#9 ·
Finally I found one! This may be the only option out there and its only $17 on eBay right now with free shipping! "Hydronix HF2" it is only 2.5" wide (standard 10" tall) and uses 1/2" NPT which for me is perfect my canister uses 1/2" line :)

I notice everyone puts a foot of pipe between the T and the reactor...is this necessary? Would be much cleaner if I could just thread the T to the reactor inlet

#10 ·
Some people, myself included, just drill a hole in the top of the housing and pull the co2 tubing through. Just make the hole a little smaller than the tubing and clean out the burrs and there shouldn't be any leaks.

Also btw, you'll still need an adaptor to connect tubing to the 1/2" female NPT. Your hardware store should have adapters that can connect pretty much any size tubing to any size NPT...all for a buck or two. Not saying this isn't the right filter housing for you, but if there was another one you liked better but it has larger NPT threads, that shouldn't pose any problem for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
So in theory it does just collect under that cap and mash there does not matter how it gets there because chances are bubbles join each other once inside under the cap anyway?

Yea I realize NPT sizes can be changed but my point is there is no 2.5" wide filter canister that has 1/2" plumbing its all smaller than that or to get 1/2" or larger the canister has to be wider than 2.5" (I am restricted on canister width) I will T it in directly to the inlet instead of drilling a hole in the cap thank you for your input!

#14 ·
Diffuser bubbles blow into the tank easier than big bubbles. People have put diffusers on before the reactor and get bubbles in the tank! Diffusers also need maintenance, the cerges reactor doesn't, why make work when you don't have to?

#15 ·
Yeah I guess I see your point with maintenance, I don't see how being smaller would make the bubbles end up in your tank though.

I could not find all the parts I need to T in at the hardware store the way most people do it, so this is what I ended up with, I am not sure how much the 90D elbows will slow down flow but I am restricted on space:

Then I was toying around in my spare aquarium parts bin, and I found this, it came with my Ecoplus 396 Submersible Water Pump the threads are correct but a bit loose. Tight with an O-ring and plumbing tape I should be fine, and it saves me a lot of space!

I now need to add a UV unit to my line, so this is where I left off so far; I want to thread it directly onto the output of the reactor but it will take some tricky piecing to make it work but I am going to try:

#21 ·
Still working on getting it into my system but this is where I am at now, I hope the 90 degree elbows do not have too much of an impact on flow but I need them for space constraints. I used 3/4" tube on the UV output (which is 3/4" - 1") with a 1/2" reducer, on the reactor input that Venturi was an odd piece I had to use a 5/8" tube and I heated the other end over a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer since my system is 1/2" I am questioning the way I did this with the reactor first. I read air gets trapped in the UV units so people run them with the input being at the bottom and the output at the top, also adding CO2 before it means CO2 could get trapped in the UV...at least it will sterilize the CO2 and maybe help it mix better if it gets caught in the UV housing?

#22 ·
Too tired at the moment to read through the whole thread, but from the nipple on the adapter threaded into the reactor, I am assuming the co2 is first entering the reactor before going through the inline UV. If that is correct, and the reactor housing is sized appropriately then the bubbles should be dissolved before reaching the UV, so no worries about trapped co2 bubbles (only the bubbles float up).
If the co2 in flowing through the UV first, then that is a different story.

Remember, this is crucial, when doing the Cerges reactor using the whole house filter housing as you are using (the purple reactor), you have to set up the inlet and outlet OPPOSITE of the markings listed on the reactor housing cap. So your actual inlet connects to the marked outlet, and actual outlet connects to marked inlet.

#24 ·
Consider mounting the UV right side up.
As it is any connector that weeps collects near the ballast.
I have same UV and not sure the electrical in top is water tight.

Consider a T in your canister discharge with a valve to the UV.
That UV performs very well @ 40 GPH.
Allow the straight through flow to go to the reactor.

I hope suggestions help.

#26 ·
I did not know that CO2 does not rise like air! Thanks :D

Are you sure your suppose to run the filter hosing backwards? That does not make sense to me; the CO2 would be pulled down in a narrow 1/2" pipe then float to the top and when it hits the top it would get sucked right out, in reverse any bubbles too large would stay against the top until they are broken down small enough to be dragged downward, this is the way I see all the videos of them online functioning.

- - -

So your suggesting using the UV before the reactor if one of the T lines goes to the reactor? Or are you saying to recycle 50% of the water back into the reactor and through the UV again for redundancy?

My SUNSUN canister filter is rated @ 105 GPH just for reference.

#27 ·
So your suggesting using the UV before the reactor if one of the T lines goes to the reactor? Or are you saying to recycle 50% of the water back into the reactor and through the UV again for redundancy?

My SUNSUN canister filter is rated @ 105 GPH just for reference.

This depends on your reason for UV.
@40 GPH bacteria and single cell organisms can be destroyed.
@105 GPH more for algae or green water with higher flow rates.

The "T" implied splitting your filter discharge to each device separately. Flow control valve to limit what goes through UV.
Two returns back to the tank.

Being that only 105GPH you may need all of that for the reactor to function well.

#28 ·
Thanks!

I would be running it for algae and cloudy water, and I have a good test for it too @ 105 GPH; I filled my 15.8 gallon tank with water over a month ago maybe even two, nothing in it but gravel and bright lights, and the canister filter. Nothing in the water for algae to eat, after several weeks the water is now starting to get a little cloudy (whiteish) but still clear and I want to see if it clears that up.

#29 ·
@Teebo My original set up for the Cerges reactor was with the water flow as marked on the water filter. With this I only managed a pH drop of 0.5 during the day. Reversed the flow, added some sponge filter media and now get a 1.0 drop in less than 90 minutes. I also use an independent Rio 1100 pump for the Cerges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.