Post pics of your DIY stands - Page 32 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #466 of 607 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I finally got around to making the canopy this week and got the tank filled.

The doors look like crap I know, left door is not square. I didn't notice until I stained it. Too lazy to make a new one.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 AM

20 Gal long stand

This is a stand i made for my 20gal long this cost me about 13$ to make, i had a hard time finding a stand in the stores and when i did find some they where around the 120$ range and where very cheap quality. So went online for DIY ideas found a few but this is what i came up with. i will make a list of materials i used and the measurements so if you like you can make it yourself!

http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_0962.jpg
http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/w...IMG_0963-1.jpg
http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_0965.jpg
http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_0966.jpg

Materials:
3-eight foot 2X4's about 2$ ea
box of deck screws or just wood screws i used 2in screws i would recommend 2 1/2 or 3in tho

you will need to cut the 2X4's to these lengths
4- 9 1/4 inches
3- 30 inches (or 4 if your picky doesn't matter tho)
4- 29 inches (or whatever you want the height to be)

its a straight forward build just build a box using two of your 9 1/4 inch pieces and two of your 30 inch pieces. then just screw the four legs on and then use the 3 remaining pieces as support for the bottom..( for the bottom you can use another 30 in piece for extra support but i just left it with the one).....any extra wood you can just screw underneath for shelves......just look at pics i posted for reference

i plan on sanding and staining the stand later, but for now it works for me any questions feel free to ask.
Update
This is a great stand to build if you are on a budget!
a few months ago i got around to staining my stand in case your interested here it is
at the bottom you can see i used regular door shims to level it out

Last edited by Cdohm1; 12-11-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Updated pic
post #468 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

Stumbled back across this thread... makes me want to set up a new tank just so I can build another stand!

post #469 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Stand I made a while back. Sides are doubled up plywood. 3/4 birch and 1 1/8 sub floor. Back is 1 1/8 sub floor plywood. Front header is 4 pieces of 3/4 in plywood screwed and glued together. About 8 more 3/4 pieces run left to right behind the header. All pieces supported on the 1 1/8" sub floor plywood.

post #470 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would comment on your engineering feats, but the big honking swastika that is illuminated with a freaking spotlight is kind of distracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post

post #471 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by takadi View Post
I would comment on your engineering feats, but the big honking swastika that is illuminated with a freaking spotlight is kind of distracting
Neo-Nazis like aquariums too, go figure.

Anyone have tips on staining MDF?
post #472 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Anyone have tips on staining MDF?
Spilling coffee or tea will stain MDF. A "cold one" will leave a slight ring. I'd not use a water based stain as the water will sink into the MDF faster than it will dry. That will at best, raise whiskers to be sanded down. At worst it could pimple the surface. A gel based stain will probably work.
post #473 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu View Post
Spilling coffee or tea will stain MDF. A "cold one" will leave a slight ring. I'd not use a water based stain as the water will sink into the MDF faster than it will dry. That will at best, raise whiskers to be sanded down. At worst it could pimple the surface. A gel based stain will probably work.
Hm all right, thanks. Maybe I'll try some kind of oil instead.
post #474 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Since MDF has no grain pattern at all it makes no sense to stain it. Just paint it instead. Or, use a colored varnish. Or, use multiple coats of dark stain, which will hide the wood behind it.

Hoppy
post #475 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I'm having mine sprayed with lacquer. It's going to cost around $300 though, but it will look professional. The surface has to be perfect as mdf shows everything.

MDF will soak up everything and it's supposed to be very hard to seal.
post #476 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Algae Grower

My 10 gallon stand .. excuse the un-stain piece of shelving at the bottom, didn't know what I wanted to do with the openning so it's just there temporarly while I stain the shelf piece.

Not sure what I want to do with the lights for the 10g tank, it's just make shift as of right now.

post #477 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Since MDF has no grain pattern at all it makes no sense to stain it. Just paint it instead. Or, use a colored varnish. Or, use multiple coats of dark stain, which will hide the wood behind it.
Yeh, I was thinking that. You think a Danish oil in dark walnut finish would look OK? I have the Watco brand. I'm going to get some Home Depot MDF this weekend and try it out on it. I was thinking a few layers of that and then a satin poly to cover it up.
post #478 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Planted Member

My diy 10 gallon plain-looking cabinet.

Front/outside:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	46392

Inside:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	46393
post #479 of 607 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Yeh, I was thinking that. You think a Danish oil in dark walnut finish would look OK? I have the Watco brand. I'm going to get some Home Depot MDF this weekend and try it out on it. I was thinking a few layers of that and then a satin poly to cover it up.
Since you would essentially be painting the MDF with the stain, it would look ok, I think. I used satin polyurethane to finish most of my cabinets and it looks good to me.

Hoppy
post #480 of 607 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

Im interested in making a stand for my new 40b. I would like to go the route of using just 3/4th inch ply but I dont really have a table saw etc. Does home depot or lowes cut plywood for free?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode