I just finished converting an old 48" angle-iron stand I've had for ever. It's utilitarian, but the look of a plain metal skeleton gets a bit old after awhile.
So I thought of a way to convert it to a wood stand, while still being able to switch back any time I needed to.
Here's what it looked like before:
I used oak veneer plywood for the ends, poplar for the tops of the front, solid oak for the vertical pieces, pine for the doors, and hemlock for the trim. The back-panel was the hardest part because I hadn't realized the 24x48 piece of plywood wouldn't cover the opening like I'd planned. Some improvisation was required, but it turned out pretty decent.
Here's a during:
Here's an after:
With the door's open. (First experience with european hinges; i love them). Haven't finalized cord management procedures yet. Will be adding CO2 next month so it's still up in the air.
For the method of attachment, each panel (front, two ends) is placed just right by some 1x1 guide pieces which sit inside the corner uprights on the metal stand. This centers and elevates the panels into the right place every time. The four corners of each panel are then clipped into the metal stands (no need to drill holes in the metal) with screen window clips. The key to cinching them down and taking out the slack was using the right amount of washers. One problem I ran into frequently was that the metal stand was not perfectly square or vertical, so other improvisations were needed from time to time. Another bonus, I'd paid for this wood months ago in anticipation of another project (router table), but never got around to using it. Some hardware, trim, and the wood for the doors was all I really needed to lay out.
This would take me less than two minutes to break down back into the metal stand.
Here's the attachment clips I spoke of: