DIY aquarium stand lots of photos - first ever woodworking project - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsdlc View Post
Very nice looking stand. I have built a a frame much the same way for my 20G long. The only major difference was that I only used a single 2x4 for the legs and notched them. I have not closed mine off yet though as I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. Whenever I get around to doing something to it again I will use your 1/4 round for the corner as that looks pretty sweet!

Wonderful log of events too!
Thank you! And godd luck finishing the stand It feels really good when you can put the tank on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just want to say that this is probably the best documentation of a good DIY stand that I've ever come across. It is very inspiring. Well done!
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
I just want to say that this is probably the best documentation of a good DIY stand that I've ever come across. It is very inspiring. Well done!
Thank you
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
That is one beautiful stand. I am planning to make a couple of stands myself and I am not good with wood crafts or power tools. This was a good inspiration for me.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
That is one beautiful stand. I am planning to make a couple of stands myself and I am not good with wood crafts or power tools. This was a good inspiration for me.
I hope you will succeed Take your time, measure everything several times before you cut, and you'll be all right Good luck!
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Algae Grower

HOLY COW! LET me say that I luv your stand! To do so well frist time.. I'm planning a DIY stand for my 20 gallon. I might take some of you ideas like the doors but I'll be doing mine in black gloss plaint ( I like everything to match... I'm a nut that way) Good job!
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Children Boogie

cool stand.. did the hardware store cut the plywood panels for you?

post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
cool stand.. did the hardware store cut the plywood panels for you?
Yes, as we don't have a table saw we thought it would be much easier. Drew a scaled drawing of the board, cut the panel pieces out of a piece of paper and tried to figure out how it would be the most efficient.
AND I had to make sure the grain goes in the right direction.
You can see my drawing here.
(My husband just told me this is more like a sketch then a drawing... )

I marked the cutting lines with arrows. Then I made an order for the cuttings, so when we were at Home Depot, I just told the associate what to do, which direction the next cut is, what the measurement is, and he cut it for me. It came out excellent. I had 14 cuts.
The front panel cuts: we cut those to size (lenght) at home with the circular saw (it fit just right) Cuts between cut# 10 and 11 helped us to make sure the doors will fit into the openings as the height of the doors were the same as the middle panels.

(I edited the picture in photobucket, but it is a pain, every time I put a text bubble on, I had to make 10 different changes, so I gave up and just used the pencil, sorry, it came out ugly but you guys got the idea
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinrobinjade View Post
HOLY COW! LET me say that I luv your stand! To do so well first time.. I'm planning a DIY stand for my 20 gallon. I might take some of you ideas like the doors but I'll be doing mine in black gloss plaint ( I like everything to match... I'm a nut that way) Good job!
Thank you Good luck with yours. If you'll be using a gloss finish, just make sure, your sanding is perfect. Things to make EXTRA attention:
- do not scratch the wood/board during construction.
- never-ever sand in the wrong direction, (it makes deep scratches into the material that will never come out), always sand in the same direction the grains go.
- use the sandpapers with smaller steps up (I went all the way up to 1200, the whole stand is so smooth, a fly couldn't land on it without slipping )

Enjoy the construction, I found it to be really fun
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butacska View Post
Yes, as we don't have a table saw we thought it would be much easier. Drew a scaled drawing of the board, cut the panel pieces out of a piece of paper and tried to figure out how it would be the most efficient.
AND I had to make sure the grain goes in the right direction.
You can see my drawing here.
(My husband just told me this is more like a sketch then a drawing... )

I marked the cutting lines with arrows. Then I made an order for the cuttings, so when we were at Home Depot, I just told the associate what to do, which direction the next cut is, what the measurement is, and he cut it for me. It came out excellent. I had 14 cuts.
The front panel cuts: we cut those to size (lenght) at home with the circular saw (it fit just right) Cuts between cut# 10 and 11 helped us to make sure the doors will fit into the openings as the height of the doors were the same as the middle panels.
That is a great idea, one I have never tried. I have used HD's cutting service only to reduce a big sheet of plywood to smaller pieces so they fit my car better, but I have never made a cutting layout like that and had them follow it. I will file this idea away in my mental file cabinet for a future project some day.

Hoppy
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That is a great idea, one I have never tried. I have used HD's cutting service only to reduce a big sheet of plywood to smaller pieces so they fit my car better, but I have never made a cutting layout like that and had them follow it. I will file this idea away in my mental file cabinet for a future project some day.
Thanks Yeah, it made it soo easy... and their saw is pretty good (in accuracy). I just had to give it a little sanding (rough edges), and it was ready to nail on
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Children Boogie

cool. I'm thinking buying a table saw at HD.. It's only $200-$300.

post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the tank on the stand:
the pics are not the best...

And the shrimps in the tank:

Everybody have a good weekend
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

If I can add something, since I am a young/with some experience carpenter, if you want to cut plywood yourself and don't have a tablesaw, take a long (48'' or longer) level, hold it with two clamps on edges, and cut with skilsaw (remeber to use a fine, 48 tooth blade, I reccomend diablo or new irwin blades). With level, you are creating a simple edge guide for the saw and I guarantee that you will cut as straight as with tablesaw. I did it many times and this method always worked.
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinsmok View Post
If I can add something, since I am a young/with some experience carpenter, if you want to cut plywood yourself and don't have a tablesaw, take a long (48'' or longer) level, hold it with two clamps on edges, and cut with skilsaw (remeber to use a fine, 48 tooth blade, I reccomend diablo or new irwin blades). With level, you are creating a simple edge guide for the saw and I guarantee that you will cut as straight as with tablesaw. I did it many times and this method always worked.
This is the only way to do without a table saw and make good straight accurate cuts. Now that I am limited to doing everything in my condo garage this is how I do it too. I have one of the special bar clamps that is made to be used mostly as a guide for a skilsaw or router, and I use it all of the time. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...0Pipe%20Clamps The downside is that you work pretty slowly compared to using a table saw.

Hoppy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode