DIY aquarium stand lots of photos - first ever woodworking project - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello again

Finally we put the doors together, we used the molding on the side of the plywood as you would put a picture frame together.

First we glued them, but then it expanded and became ugly, so we just nailed the rest of the molding to the plywood.

Then I stained the doors, but as the cabinet itself received 4x staining and sanding, thatís what I have to do with the doors too. And the drying time between 2 stain coats is 24(!!!) hours. So 3 more days until we can put the doors up. Slowly but surely itís getting done Canít wait.

I donít know how even and level the doors will be thoughÖ Weíll see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
Wow, that's a really nice stand!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna View Post
Are you filling your tank with Mercury? That thing could hold a truck!

In all seriousness, the stand is very nice. The crown and base molding is a nice twist.

Great documentation, too!
Thanks Really, it is amazing how much difference some molding does. It is a pain in the butt to install though... at least if you are a novice, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
butacska -

Your stand looks great! I think your choice of stain was a good one. The stain is definately not over powering at all.

The wood conditioner is used so that the stain is soaked into the wood evenly. It basically fills the wood pores to some degree so that the stain is not soaked in as deeply. When you use birch, it isn't really necesary since birch doesn't have large pores that soak in the stain too deep.

What are you going to use for a top coat? Polyurethane?
Now the stain is a little more definite, but I like the darker color. It is so warm.

Actally I haven't thought of using a top coat of any other then the stain. As I sanded it with 320 then 600, it is so smooth and shiny... Should I use something? I do not want the "wet" shiny look as on some old furniture. A nice soft shine would be great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Very nice stand. Any holes for filter tubing? Why didn't you wait to do the staining until you have the doors prepped?
hi, thanks
No holes for filter tubing as i have a hang-on filter.

Because I couldn't wait I was too excited to start my first staining
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butacska View Post
Now the stain is a little more definite, but I like the darker color. It is so warm.

Actally I haven't thought of using a top coat of any other then the stain. As I sanded it with 320 then 600, it is so smooth and shiny... Should I use something? I do not want the "wet" shiny look as on some old furniture. A nice soft shine would be great...
You can get polyurethane in a number of different types of finishes. I am not sure if you can get it in flat, but I know they have it in a satin which I really like. Here is a link to a project where I finished something with satin poly:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...tml#post605257

Some of the pictures seem to have a pretty strong glare or reflection from the flash of the camera, but you have to remember that I was taking picures point blank of the project. A top coat is going to give the project a little bit of a sheen. There is a very large difference between a sheen (satin) and a mirror like reflection (gloss or semigloss).

The reason for using poly or some other type of top coat for a project like this is kind of important. Remember that your stand is going to be subjected to occasional splashes of water. If the wood gets wet and there isn't a top coat then the wood will absorb the water into itself and then you will have a blotch or water stain.

I am not sure about birch and water, but I know for a fact that red oak and water do not mix at all. Water stains on oak tend to turn black or gray from the minerals in the water. I would imagine that at the very least the birch will stain and show obvious signs of water exposure.

There are a large number of top coats out there that you could use. If it were my project, I would definately use something. There is nothing like investing the time and money into a project like this only to have it get damaged by normal use in the future.

Edit: One thing to add is that the top coat will generally add a richness to the color of the project. Whatever you use, try it on a test piece with the stain that you used. Try to keep dust levels down while applying a top coat and apply 3 to 4 coats. If you do happen to use polyurethane, you might want to get some extrafine steel wool for gently knocking down any bumps from dust particles or bubbles. Also, gently stir the poly before using it. You don't want too many bubles in the can and you want to use a natural brush to apply it. I bought some realitively cheap natural chip brushes. They work great and you throw them out after you are done.

Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to youareafever
very nice stand. and i have to agree with biscuit, and watch out for bubbles!! i had to learn the hard way.

the best democracy money can buy
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally we finished it.

We put on the doors, now you can tell how beginners we are... But it's OKEY.

Took it into the house. Its going to be in the family room.

The inspector:

I got a little bonus at my job so I ordered two bags of eco complete from DR FnS, that was the cheapest I could find... even cheaper than my LFS which was $29.99 + tax a bag... a got them for $53 with shipping and everything. Some place wanted $30-40 for just shipping...

I started to put the tank together with self-collected lava rocks:

The lights are still on the 55G as I have plants in that one.
I collected a little mulm from the 55G,
I used a sponge and "seeded" (?) the filter with bacteria... obviously too much because my tank looks like there was a dust storm in it. Everything is covered with something that is similar to mulm... probably dead bacteria, but look like very fine dust...
I pulled out dwarf sag and planted it in the new tank, and fished out 9 baby guppies and about 30 RCS to the new tank. To help cycling.
Next week I will receive plants what I'm getting for the shrimps that I sent to 5 people trade is fun And I sill have way too many shrimps....

In the meantime, while the stand was delayed I quit smoking... cold turkey... 3 weeks ago...
so I bought a little 5G tank into my kitchen, I couldn't handle the waiting for my 29 gallon I needed to put a tank together... so I can look at it instead of going outside to have a cig.

Thanks everybody for the comments and help!
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! wheres the canopy
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post
LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! wheres the canopy
Thanks... No canopy, at least for a while
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 PM
CL
C-A-T-S

That's a great stand! Congrats on quitting smoking!

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great looking stand
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I ♥ BBA!

That is a beautiful stand! And congratulations on quiting smoking!
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Algae Grower

if you wake up and hear water pouring on the floor and see someone with a dolly carrying your stand away, it wasn't me...... that is a very nice stand, very detailed pictures make it easy to understand, i may just have to build myself one so i can get my 75 gallon off of my dresser..

thanks for the post,
Blake
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
That is a really great stand. I applaud you for your hard work and wonderful outcome.

[/off-rant]
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you guys, I really appriciate all your nice comments, it makes me feel so proud
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to youareafever
your stand came out great! good job.

the best democracy money can buy
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Very nice looking stand. I have built a a frame much the same way for my 20G long. The only major difference was that I only used a single 2x4 for the legs and notched them. I have not closed mine off yet though as I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. Whenever I get around to doing something to it again I will use your 1/4 round for the corner as that looks pretty sweet!

Wonderful log of events too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode