The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarium timer using Irrigation computer

9K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  Wasserpest 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if anyone has ever attempted this... Most of us use several timers for our tanks. I usually have one for main lights, one for dimmer sunrise/sunset lights, one for moonlights, and one or two for fertilizer dosing.

So I thought, why not use one of the irrigation timers with multiple stations/zones?

I could imagine a daily "6 Zone" program like this:

9:59 Dose macros
10:00 Turn on sunrise lights
10:30 Turn on main lights/CO2
21:00 Turn on sunset lights
22:00 Turn on moonlights
0:00 Dose micros

There are a couple of issues... like the 24V output which would require relays to switch line voltage. I could imagine modding a power strip...

Another issue (or fact) is that you can run only one zone at a time. That means, if you have two seperate banks of light, they would not run simultaneously, only one after another.

Also, the simplest timers only allow for up to 90 or 120 minutes run time. Better ones allow for 4 hours, with stackable programs (ABC) which would let that extend up to 12 hours. Not sure if there would be a little off/on cycle when the next program kicks in. And not sure how much "better" timers run these days.s

<<WP out looking at Irrigation timers>>

See less See more
#2 ·
Prices vary considerably.. Cheapest I saw was a 4 zone 'interior mount' for $26 which isn't bad. Putting the money into figuring out the control structure, modifying a power strip or adding sockets, etc.. Still fairly bulky, but it could work. Its got a nice interface too,

I am tinkering with a PIC 'system' to control my lights, heater, and fans, as well as monitor temperature (and use temp to regulate heater/fan on/off) and maybe pH. Will have a USB port so I can hook it up to my laptop to update the program, but no other controls except reset and power switches. Nothing new though, I know its been done before. Still waiting for my samples though... :sleep:

Marty

#3 ·
Heh. Just spent $35 on this thing.

Couple of interesting points:

* Independent program for each valve
* Watering Duration: from 1 minute to 11 hours and 59 minutes in 1 minute increments
* Four start times per day on weekly schedule
* Automatic short detector isolates the faulty valve and continues the irrigation cycle
* Start time stacking prevents hydraulic overload
* Water budget from 95% to +95% in 5% increments
* Three modes: automatic, semi-automatic and manual
* Can operate two valves at the same time
* Waiting mode for third and fourth valves
* Manual irrigation cycle via the controller
* Battery backup retain program memory during a power outage

So I was wrong about not being able to run two things at the same time. And one minute to 12 hours in one minute steps for six different stations is pretty darn flexible.

Oh yeah, and since this is an irrigation timer, turning the water change solenoid on and off shouldn't be much of an issue either. :biggrin:

#11 ·
If you use good old "ice cube" relays, you can run up to 3 things off of each of the 6 outputs, depending on how many sets of contacts the relay has!! 6 if you use triple pole, dual throw relays and run half of the items in the "on" cycle and half in the "off" cycle.

I think I smell a control upgrade coming...:proud:

Tommy

#6 ·
Hehe, I am busy too, but this is fascinating. It's like six digital timers in one box, with a huge array of options to fine-tune and adjust.

Looking for some inexpensive 24V relays right now... any idea? Combining this with relays adds another interesting tad, you can easily use one timer/zone to alternate things. Like mainlight/moonlight, or CO2/airpump etc.

How's that for a schedule?

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks for the links... I must be spoiled, looking for something like this (price and feature-wise) but 24V instead of 110V.

The current is just the max that the transformer can deliver (to actuate the solenoids). For relays, much less is needed. Less is better, since it will use up less electricity.

#15 ·
Basically, the irrigation controller has a number of contacts that switch 24VAC. Normally, you would connect solenoid valves (sprinkler valves) to them. But, you could also connect say a 24VAC relay to them which in turn switches an electrical outlet which could be connected to your lights or dosing pumps.

#20 ·
No, I am searching. Got some excellent 110V relays for $0.75/ea (see link earlier) and I was hoping to find something similar for 24V.

So, the total cost would be

$35 for the irrigation timer
$5 for relays
$5 for power strip

$45 for basically 6 semi-independent advanced timers in a compact package. Not too bad.

#19 ·
Hey! Where did my post go?! It just disappeared! I posted an explanation of how you could use one output to control a relay, which would energize however many adjustable time delay relays to stage multiple items off of each output. I also explained the basic programming I would use to control my lunar lights, 3 stages of main lighting, the CO2 solenoid, Reactor pump & an air pump. I could do all that with the 4 zone unit.

I'm not going to sit here & rethink the timer schedule again. :p

Tommy

#21 ·
Hmmm... lost in electron land.

This sounds workable, but then you'd have to add delay timers, which adds to the total cost and complexity I guess. I prefer to spend a bit more for a 6 zone timer upfront, and the flexibility to time minutes up to 12 hours is pretty good.

#25 ·
#31 ·
I just placed the order, so I don't have them yet. Plus not much time at the moment. But I will just solder them most likely, like I did with the delay timer relays.

They are too big to fit inside a power strip, so I need to find some neat way to assemble and combine the relays and power strip and controller. Maybe some board (piece of wood) that can be hung on the wall or inside the stand. With all those cables going to one place it will be difficult to make it look neat.

#33 ·
Hehe, that's the thing... besides the controller and the power strip you don't have much, just 4 little relays maybe, so that box would probably be overkill. I think mounting all those things onto a board will work, the ugly part will be all the power cables plugging into the power strip.

I will post pictures when there is some progress...

#34 ·
There has been progress. An hour or two of soldering didn't sound really enjoyable, so the stuff has been sitting under my desk for - ooops - two months. Last night I finally found some time and dedication and soldered it all together. I will post pictures and stuff after making sure it works as expected, but so far, so good. Maybe I start another thread to get rid of all the startup fluff.

#37 ·
$35 for the irrigation controller.
$3.33 for each relay --> total of $13. (there might be cheaper options)
$.70 for each outlet --> total of $2.

Not counting wires and screws which can be salvaged from other things, it adds up to ~$50. A bit more expensive than a similar solution combining mechanical and electronic timers, but much more convenient and compact.

I still need to make it look nice with a front plate, and box it all in, but I might be able to finish it Sunday and will post some pictures next week.

#38 ·
Just in case you wondered where the pictures are... had a little setback. Two of the four relays that I used in the setup are no good. One is shorted (which the timer accurately reported!) and the other one is open. Should have taken a minute and tested them when I got them. So now I have to rip that thing apart and replace the two relays...

Other than that, I love the features and easy programming of the irrigation controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.