Plug 'n play arduino controller, Arduino Green WEB Controller - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamblor View Post
This is a really cool project and I look forward to your progress. I was thinking of trying to do something similar. Being away for work a lot I'd like to be able to login to a website and check how my aquariums are doing. Maybe even have a video feed or pictures that update every couple hours or at specific events.

My arduino experience is pretty limited to simple tasks like turning things on and off via buttons. I have no idea where to begin on getting it hooked up to the internets. But your project is inspiring me to learn.

Thanks!
Thanks for the interest. Video & picture feed is more appropriate for a proper computer like your desktop or a Rasberri Pi. The Arduino is just a little micro-controller so it's more adept at controlling the servo of your webcam or something. It has only so many sram and can't handle large images. Actually as I write this it, I'm thinking it might be possible to stream a large image straight to the client browser rather than storing it so,hmm it could be possible but video would be too much.

I can definite add email alerts for events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Update,
I added 4 channel PWM 8-bit, and gave sensors a new parameter where you can choose different condition types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9o_FwqNd5E

Last edited by mistergreen; 01-12-2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: +
post #18 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So what did you do with the temperature probes? Can a person hook many up to the same pin or does it have to be one per pin?

For a video couldn't you have a spot on the website showing the video feed from a USB type camera plugged directly into the computer?
post #19 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsworld78 View Post
So what did you do with the temperature probes? Can a person hook many up to the same pin or does it have to be one per pin?
The mega has so many digital pins and it'll make the logistics & coding easier if people just plug it in another pin.

Quote:
For a video couldn't you have a spot on the website showing the video feed from a USB type camera plugged directly into the computer?
I'll have to figure this out. The feed has to go through something so yeah, you can go straight to your computer and see the video through some app like Skype, google etc... The arduino wouldn't be involved.

You can also buy a little cmos camera for your arduino and you can aim it at your aquarium. The arduino would be responsible for displaying the image.

Bump: My next device to add is a generic analog IN device. They're usually sensors.
This web controller will allow you to grab the reading and you can enter in some math formula into the web interface and the formula will transform the reading like Fahrenheit to Celsius.

It's a neat algorithm called shunting yard. Coding it would take me years to figure out but thank goodness I found an example already made.

Last edited by mistergreen; 01-13-2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: +
post #20 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

On the video feed instead of using skype or whatever can't it be viewed from the website used with the controller, then it looks more integrated?

On the screen after login there would also be a window which would show you the feed from your USB camera which can be turned on or off, something like that.

This all looks very interesting, how long do you think till your done?
post #21 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Quote:
On the video feed instead of using skype or whatever can't it be viewed from the website used with the controller, then it looks more integrated?

On the screen after login there would also be a window which would show you the feed from your USB camera which can be turned on or off, something like that.

This all looks very interesting, how long do you think till your done?
The video has to go though the arduino for it to show up on the website. The arduino is the web server. I don't think video is possible on the arduino, the Raspberry PI definitely is doable.

hmmm, or you can sign up for some streaming service like twitch or youtube streaming and then have a simple iframe on the arduino web page. The video would stream on the arduino web controller page. That should work. I think I'll implement that! That's the easiest.

I have no idea when this will be done. I'll have to thoroughly test it. I might commercialize it too but it shouldn't be much. It can be used for anything really.

Oh, I just ordered adafruit's 12bit pwm. That should be fun.
post #22 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes that's what I was thinking, just like embedding a video, except it would be a video feed. Didn't think you need a service to do that though.
post #23 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Yup, it's like embedding a YouTube video. There's nothing to embed if you just have a web cam. You need to go through a video server service like youtube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #24 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #25 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

I just made a live stream on YouTube. Can't wait to work this into the controller over the weekend!

post #26 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully you can share how you do it, I would like to add that feature, if I ever get to the internet that is.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention. Some of the label names are hard to understand what they do, I realize you're just getting it working right now but how about having a page so people can set custom label names? That would make it more friendly for other applications. Have a page showing most labels with a text box for a custom name. When someone hovers over the default label name it would have an example, just an idea.
post #27 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully you can share how you do it, I would like to add that feature, if I ever get to the internet that is.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention. Some of the label names are hard to understand what they do, I realize you're just getting it working right now but how about having a page so people can set custom label names? That would make it more friendly for other applications. Have a page showing most labels with a text box for a custom name. When someone hovers over the default label name it would have an example, just an idea.
What do you mean by label names? Any suggestions are helpful at this point.

Here's the guide on setting up a YouTube live feed.
https://support.google.com/youtube/a...c=6136989&rd=1

To embed the video onto an html page, find the video in your video list, click share and grab the embed code to put in your html.

post #28 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

duplicate

Last edited by robsworld78; 01-15-2015 at 04:16 AM. Reason: .
post #29 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's easy enough, I thought maybe you had to add some special code because of the arduino.

On label names, for example in your last video you have the 4 ramp schedules called one, two, three, four which doesn't really tell me much. If I'm using this for an aquarium I want it to say ramp one or maybe low sun and if I'm not using this for an aquarium I may want to tag it something different. I didn't think it would be hard to add custom names so thought it might be worth it. Only labels like that would need to be custom. Technically this can control the aquarium and whatever else you want so it would be nice to change those according to what it is.

Is it limited to 4 schedules? What if I was going to use the one channel PWM pin for a pump and wanted it to turn on and off 10 times in a day how would I do that? Is it possible for it to ask how many schedules that pin should have?

There's also other labels that aren't so clear. Like on the temp settings you have "Parameter Slider" when it should say something like Temperature On/Off Range. Then when someone clicks the slider type to something else it would change to whatever they selected.

Also the dependent devices is a little hard to understand. When you selected a device you had to clear out the schedule as its not dependent on that anymore, what happens if I didn't clear that out? Maybe a window should pop up telling me that and asking me if I want to clear the schedule and it does it for me. Ultimately it would be nice if when I selected a dependent device it somehow flashed me the settings for that device so I visually saw the connection.

Just little things like that. I think what you're doing is amazing and could be used by so many for a lot of applications as programming is a big issue. But most people who have problems with programming also have trouble understanding these kinds of programs so it needs to be made as simple as possible (which you have) just needs better clarity IMO. Just trying to give you some constructive criticism.
post #30 of 200 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Ah, thanks for the feedback. Custom labels would take up precious memory from the arduino and more coding so I don't think that's feasible. Yeah, I can add more slots for the pwm sliders. But I'm keeping a limit to 4 generally to reserve memory. Every time I add a device it takes up 200-300 bytes of memory. The biggest one so far is the onewire thermometer because it includes the onewire library.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode