Wasserpests new airpump microdoser - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru
If you add a little HCL in the micro mix, then you do not get that funk in the line........

Also, more dilute solutions make it easier to use timers and dose more volume and more precision on the amounts that you dose.

It's easier for most any system to dose a larger volume more precisely.
3.5 gallons per hour is pretty low, so a simple timer with 1-15 min increments (intermatic digital etc) can be programmed to dose 220 mls at zero head.

Now adding a valve or better yet, head pressure(less clogging issues with small orifices) can tweak that down to much less.

Whatever amount you really want.
You can also use a larger adapter for the tubing, but you still have the small pump part that's the constriction/clog point.
However, some simple things get around the issues of funk in the lines or rot of the traces.

This is really old news about dealing with fungus etc:
# Put your traces in a dark brown or opaque bottle (I use well rinsed glass cough syrup bottles). Light can destablize chelates.
Refrigerate stock (mark it well so someone doesn't take a swig) and leave a small 25ml bottle by the aquarium for convenience.
Since dry ingredients are more stable, only mix up a month's worth of PMDD at a time. Kevin Conlin adds a little HCL to the brew; (about 0.8ml 9M HCl/500ml). SeaChem acid buffer also or H3PO4 can be added to stop fungus(it hates really acid conditions....as well as bacteria, think peat acid bogs). Excel also will work pretty well, but dose not last that long, it will not oxidize anything at least.

Should help out a lot no matter what auto dosing routine you want to use.

Tom Barr

Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Planted Member
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Considered that a few times, but I am not sure if the membrane withstands prolonged exposure to the micro solution. I don't want to dose weaker solutions, they tend to grow fungus and "stuff".

So the dosing volume might be an issue too. Needle valves clog fast when dosing Flourish...

I have some little timer circuits on order which let me dial down the dosed amounts (15 sec minimum). That, in combination with the waterpump doser, will be my weapon of choice. Cheap, reliable, fairly precise, and self-mixing. Sweet.
Been using mine continuously for over a year and have had no problems with things gunking up on me yet. Granted my reservoir and tubing have become stained over time and don't look as nice as they did at first but they still function just like they are supposed to. I am using 2 of those Tom aqualifters one for micros, and one for macros. I'm using 1gal milk jugs as my reservoirs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode