Planted Tank VIP
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
I'm glad to see you've decided to take the next step in aquatic plant care and start introducing CO2 into your tank! You won't regret it!
To answer your questions:
1) The size of the bottle you use for Yeast/Sugar will most affect the length of time for which the Yeast will efficiently consume sugar and consequently produce CO2. A smaller bottle will be able to dissolve less sugar, with less water present. Also, as time passes, a byproduct of the Yeast multiplication is alcohol. Eventually, alcohol levels reach toxic levels and actually kill the yeast bacteria. A larger bottle of water will keep alcohol dissolved levels low and prolong the life of your CO2 generator.
A larger colony of yeast and sugar will naturally also be capable of producing more CO2, but generally you can use as large a bottle as you like. A 2 liter bottle would work perfectly for your 10 gallon tank. A 1 gallon container might last a bit longer, though.
2) If you were injecting too much CO2, reaching levels above 30-40ppm, the fish would respond with signs of stress and disease. High levels of CO2 are toxic to fish. Just as a note - it is pretty difficult to get CO2 levels to toxic levels with a Yeast generator. Even in a small tank, and especially with hard water. If your water is very soft, and the tank is fairly small, it might be possible, though. My 2.5 gallon nano planted tank has a 2 liter bottle generator on it running full tilt into a power filter and levels haven't even reach ideal (25ppm). I can't seem to get them higher than 10-15ppm with my relatively hard water (8 dKH).
- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage