Inline Plumbing with 1" tubing - help plumbing experience! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Inline Plumbing with 1" tubing - help plumbing experience!

Okay, so I'm going for the Scolley style, everything out of the tank plumbing setup with my new tank. The trouble is I'm using an FX5 with 1" inlet and outlet sizes, thus I'd like to keep my plumbing all at 1". I've purchased a UV unit with 1" inlet so I'm fine there.

Trouble is, I'm having a hard time getting up and down from 1" on my sidetracks away from the main flow line(to 3/4 or 1/2). I think I'm missing something on the pluming side, can anyone provide some advice based on experience? I've come to learn that the big box stores simply don't carry enough variety to get this job done...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank VIP

get reducers from lowes or homedepot.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The FX5 has a computer chip onboard and supposedly the canister does not like things connected inline.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've spoken with Fluval's enginerd and he saw no problem and claimed that that concern was pretty much bogus. The only thing the chip does is burp the system each day and at startup.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

www.usplastic.com

Are you planning on hard or soft plumbing?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm leaning towards hard plumbing...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
The FX5 has a computer chip onboard and supposedly the canister does not like things connected inline.
NOT true! I run the following on an FX5, without ANY problems.

All my plumbing on this side (Life Support) is .75". It runs my "UGF" though, so the size reduction and bends didn't matter to me all that much.

I ran the supplied tubing on the other side (Main).

If you actually measure everything out (FX5 tubing - both soft and hard) it's actuall less than 1" It's more like .875" ID........

I ended up using a heat gun to get my .75" vinyl tubing on the Fluval fittings. Heat the tubing and slide it on. I'd think you should be able to find what ever reducers you need at a big box store (I managed mine, though it's NOWHERE near Scolley's masterpiece), otherwise www.aquaticeco.com If they don't have it, you don't need it

FX5 x2
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Planted Member

I wind up buying a lot of my plumbing stuff on-line. Map out your system as best you can then find a place that has what you need. Buy some extra stuff that you think you might need just in-case.

David
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's another confirmation that FX5 is fine...must be a nasty rumour started by an Eheim rep!

Tusk, I had noticed the odd size of the tubing... How do the Hydors keep up with the water changes?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Planted Member

I'm a little confused about the question.

From what I've read and come to see, IMO, in-line heaters are a bit more efficent. Granted they are the 300w flavor, they do an excelent job.

All the plumbing for that stuff under the cabinet is all .75" plumbing and tubing. The Hydors are 5/8" fittings. I used 5/8 ID tubing and just streched it over the .75" fittings (Using the heat gun method). Being that they are in parallel, I didn't think too much of the 5/8" hose.

I can't recall the size of the tank your going to put this on....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

original kuhli - You've got some good places listed here to get PVC. I got most of my stuff from Marine Depot. Their stuff is, IMO, a lower quality than the stuff at AquaticEcoSystems. But it's often a lot less expensive, and they seem to have a better selection.

The two things that are bad about such places is that:

1) If you can find it at Lowes or Home Depot, it'll be probably be cheaper there.
2) You have to balance the cost of ordering extra (for stuff you didn't think of, or screwed up) against the cost and delay of placing a 2nd order.

Good luck!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode