combining cerges and rex griggs co2 reactors. hooked up, leak testing now - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

combining cerges and rex griggs co2 reactors. hooked up, leak testing now

I've decided to upgrade my cerges style reactor with a rex griggs to try to get rid of co2 bubbles by giving them more time to dissolve.

I was going to go with a standard rex griggs style, but as I looked at my 2" to 1" bushing I realized I could dremel off the lip for the 1" slip and pushing a 1" diameter multi-foot length of pvc through to the bottom.

i could combine the two styles into one. though... i'm not too sure of the efficiency, or if it's going to totally destroy my flow rate do to the extra head.

here's what i'm thinking. all I can think about is that huge amount of space above the water inlet for co2 gas to just sit... probably being wasted.

Last edited by scapegoat; 12-08-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: uh dur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's genius!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
12 pages long, can you give a little context before i commit myself to reading the whole thing?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
That's genius!
haha, i'm not so sure about that. I may glue it up tonight and get it running this weekend to see how it performs. I'd hate to have wasted all that money if it does poorly.

I do need to reduce my flow rate some, so i'm not super concerned with that part... i'd just hate to have a huge amount of co2 stuck at the top, slowly dissolving into the water over night and gassing the fish; though i do have nice surface movement.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
haha, i'm not so sure about that. I may glue it up tonight and get it running this weekend to see how it performs. I'd hate to have wasted all that money if it does poorly.

I do need to reduce my flow rate some, so i'm not super concerned with that part... i'd just hate to have a huge amount of co2 stuck at the top, slowly dissolving into the water over night and gassing the fish; though i do have nice surface movement.
You might be able to run an airline from the top chamber where the gas would collect to the inlet near the co2 connection, where the velocity is high and the pressure would be much lower. I like those clear airline connectors for stuff like that, just use pvc cement and they glue right on.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wow, that's impressive.. I'd be showing it to all the chicks.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
You might be able to run an airline from the top chamber where the gas would collect to the inlet near the co2 connection, where the velocity is high and the pressure would be much lower. I like those clear airline connectors for stuff like that, just use pvc cement and they glue right on.
that's a great idea! much better than my idea of trying to cut a sheet of pvc round to fill the space, then another hole in that to slip the 1" through.

I just need to figure out a clean way to do it; if i just silicone it in and there is a loop of tubing sticking out I'm sure to accidentally rip it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
Wow, that's impressive.. I'd be showing it to all the chicks.
I haven't shown my wife yet... i'm sure she'll just roll her eyes at me when i imply things.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Children Boogie

eliminate the right angle at the intake. Right angles are enemies to flow.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
eliminate the right angle at the intake. Right angles are enemies to flow.
yeah, I need to grab a 45 instead. the thing is, I don't think they make 45's with a thread in it for a third line. I was going to thread in a barb for the co2 here. I could, instead, just drill and thread the barb in elsewhere.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Children Boogie

Oh wait, don't you have the water in & out switched?
With your current design, the CO2 will flow straight out. Bubbles will want to rise up.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Oh wait, don't you have the water in & out switched?
With your current design, the CO2 will flow straight out. Bubbles will want to rise up.
nope. this is a mashup of the two styles. that 1" pvc coming out of the top will go down to the bottom of the 4", like a cerges style. but this is built in somewhat the same vein as the rex griggs to get more water volume than what is traditionally available w/ the cerges.

water goes in where that 90 is, along with the co2. then up through the 1" whose opening is way down near the bottom. I'll be dremeling out the lip in the 2" to 1" reducer bushing in order to slip the 1" piping through it.

i'm hoping the long downward, then upward travel, will mean the co2 has plenty of time to dissolve.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Children Boogie

Gotcha, there's a pipe inside.

Hmmm, I could see there would be a buildup of CO2 at the top part unless it's completely sealed off.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would put the CO2 inlet in the side of the outer long tube, near the bottom, maybe 3/4 of the way down. Then the bubbles have to flow up against the incoming water, instead of just flowing directly into the big CO2 bubble at the top. I would also consider reversing the sanitary tee, so the side leg directs the water flow down. That would reduce the head loss through the reactor. I think the basic idea is a good one.

Hoppy
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I would put the CO2 inlet in the side of the outer long tube, near the bottom, maybe 3/4 of the way down. Then the bubbles have to flow up against the incoming water, instead of just flowing directly into the big CO2 bubble at the top. I would also consider reversing the sanitary tee, so the side leg directs the water flow down. That would reduce the head loss through the reactor.
i've been eagerly awaiting your input Hoppy.

When I placed the sanitary t there I had meant to flip it around... but did wonder if the upwards direction would help reducing the co2 bubble up top by directing flow there to disturb it.

I've a brass fitting for the co2 injection and decided that i'll be tapping some part of this to introduce the co2. half way would work wonderfully consider the length of co2 tubing i have on hand.

I'll also probably fill this up with bio balls to further disturb the co2 bubbles. the bottom of this has flush screw plate to maintenance, and the tube inside will be attached to the piece going through the bushing w/ a coupling and won't be glued into that so i can easily remove it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode