New design of CO2 reactor

Usually CO2 reactor is connected to outlet of pump like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dymax_nano_diffusor_pump.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	228217

This design works but have couple of problems:
1. sometimes small bubbles escape from the bottom.
2. the whole contraption is unwieldy and often doesn't look good, especially if you add foam filter before pump inlet.

I've build reactor based on new idea - instead of putting reactor chamber after pump outlet, put it before pump inlet.

This solves both problems:

1. if bubble reaches bottom of reactor it goes through impeller and gets destroyed
2. all parts of reactor (reactor chamber, pump, foam filter, co2 pipe, power wire) are inline - take very little space and look cleaner.
3. very easy to add filter because it inserts into top of co2 chamber

Assembled:

Name:	co2_reactor_2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	228201

CO2 chamber only:

Name:	co2_reactor_2_empty.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	228209

Video:

Last edited by Sar315; 10-30-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: added video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When you restrict the inlet flow to a pump you can cause cavitation to take place, which can eventually destroy the pump. Also, the little pumps we use for aquariums don't generate much, if any, suction. The flow rate just drops down when you restrict the inlet flow. It may be that the labyrinth you made won't restrict the flow much, so it would work fine, as designed. The only other possible problem I see is CO2 bubbles floating up out of the inlet instead of being transported down to the pump. But, if you ran it with the pump at the top, that wouldn't be a problem either. That's what I would do.

This might work well for those who don't like to have CO2 mist floating all over the tank, but still want to use a powerhead as a reactor.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
When you restrict the inlet flow to a pump you can cause cavitation to take place, which can eventually destroy the pump.
I heard this argument before, but why pumps come with restrictor
(little sliding plate) in front of inlet ?
Obviously manufacturers do not consider cavitation to be a problem.
Also this pump is $4 delivered on [Ebay Link Removed]

Quote:
Also, the little pumps we use for aquariums don't generate much, if any, suction. The flow rate just drops down when you restrict the inlet flow. It may be that the labyrinth you made won't restrict the flow much, so it would work fine, as designed. The only other possible problem I see is CO2 bubbles floating up out of the inlet instead of being transported down to the pump. But, if you ran it with the pump at the top, that wouldn't be a problem either. That's what I would do.

This might work well for those who don't like to have CO2 mist floating all over the tank, but still want to use a powerhead as a reactor.
You need very little water flow to stop CO2 from floating up out of inlet

I made and used for a while CO2 reactor that was connected to outlet of HOB filter. CO2 never bubbled through inlet, while water flow out of HOB filter is quite low.

Here is my previous post with youtube video and pictures:

my DIY CO2 reactor/diffuser for HOB filter NEW VERSION

I am waiting for glue to dry out and will run and report tomorrow how new design works.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Video of working system is here

CO2 bubble stays on top - doesn't burst through inlet.
Strong water flow from pump outlet - no bubbles or mist leave CO2 chamber.

The whole system could've been several times smaller and without labyrinth inside, but it works perfectly well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like a good addition to our reactor options. Do you have any feel for the maximum bubble rate this will work with?

Hoppy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Looks like a good addition to our reactor options. Do you have any feel for the maximum bubble rate this will work with?

It can handle about 2 bps - pls see new (21 second) video - after 5 hours of operation CO2 bubble grew to 1.5 inches, but bubbles are not escaping, some bubbles went down a little bit bug got trapped in a water vortex created by labyrinth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode