Power head for my 55g? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Power head for my 55g?

Any recommendations on gph for a power head on my 55 gal? Obviously would like some more movement but don't want to over do it. I was looking at the Koralia Evolution 750 - 750 gph - 4.5W. Any opinions?

Thanks
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyref88 View Post
Any recommendations on gph for a power head on my 55 gal? Obviously would like some more movement but don't want to over do it. I was looking at the Koralia Evolution 750 - 750 gph - 4.5W. Any opinions?

Thanks
Rick
Assuming you have some form of filtration either canister,or HOB I think 250 GPH would be about right for the powerhead.
750GPH in 55 gal tank, would in my view be overkill in anything but loach,pleco tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

I recently got the
aquaclear powerhead 20 (127GPH) aquaclear powerhead 20 (127GPH)
Its been working great esp for spreading my new co2. It provides just enough movement for me. Granted I'm sure once my plants really start growing I'll need something with a little more power. Its been a great powerhead and wish I would of got one of the more powerful ones. I didn't realize you could adjust the flow on these till I received it....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like movement without the blast effects of too much in one spot. I find the Koralia nano works for me in my 125. As plants and cover changes, I use another if I feel the need. In this way I get movement and can put another to cover behind rocks or such where a single might not be adjusted as well. I finally got into Koralia and really find them much quieter and longer lasting than others I used. Maxi-jets? BOOO! HISS!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on the Koralia nano.

That little guy is great! I also use it in a 125.. The current is just about right. keeps water moving without being a jet stream.

Never show anyone your true potential. If you do, they will always expect it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a brand new topfin 30 I can sell you cheap, great powerheads for the brand. Moves 95g/hr also have a 50 that moves 150g/hr again brand new cheap.

I have one of the 30 in my 55 for a little extra water movement but then I replaced it with a fluval U2 for extra filtration.

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

In my 60G, I'm running a Fluval 406 (383GPH) filter as well as a MaxiJet 900 (230GPH) powerhead which puts me at 613GPH. Flow is awesome in my tank and my fish love it. Tank holds Angelfish, a pleco, and tetras, none of which get blown around in the current.

The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions. I was thinking the nano wouldn't be strong enough because of the length of the tank but I think I'll give that a try. My Rena xp4 does move the water fairly well at the top to mid level but would like more circulation from mid to bottom especially to spread the daphnia out for my fan feeder shrimp, as they hide out in the nooks and crannies of the driftwood and rocks near the ends of the tank. Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To the two guys running the Koralia Nano in their 125 gallon tanks...what's your placement look like? (return & powerhead)

I'm in the process of doing the same thing, always looking for more ideas!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode