co2 mixture??!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

co2 mixture??!!!

SO i set up the whole co2 diy set and then i added in cold water 2 cups of sugar yeast and aking soda. i hooked it up and ive waited for 18 hours and still nothing......what should i do.....

any tips....shake the bottle or add warm water or somethhing?
any help is appreciated. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

you want to add warm water, the amount of sugar, yeast and baking soda will depend on your bottle size. I use 2 liter Mt Dew bottle. I fill the sugar up to where the bottom of the label would be. Add .5 tsp of yeast, .5 tsp of baking soda and fill it with warm water 3/4 up.

I add the sugar and water. Cap it and shake until the sugar has dissolved completely. I then add the yeast and baking soda. Hook it up and give it a good shake. I've got co2 bubbles in less than 2 hours. I have 2, 2 liters going at one time into a gatorade sump bottle.

It took me awhile to get my mixture down. Anything more than .5 tsp of baking soda and my production doesn't last all that long. Less than .5 tsp and I get zero co2. You will just have to play with your numbers until you find what works best.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a different mixture but pretty much the same setup and prep.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not sure what recipe you're using but I have never seen one that recommended cold water. Here is what I would do:

Throw that mixture out and follow this method EXACTLY.

Take your bottle (2 liter soda bottles are popular) and fill it 2/3 of the way (stop where the bottle starts to curve inward) with VERY WARM water. This means warm enough to say so but NOT hot enough to burn you. You're really shooting for 110f temperature; warmer than lukewarm/not hot is close enough.

Add your sugar to the main bottle with the water in it. I used to use half white and half brown sugar but I don't know as this makes a bit of difference. The idea is that brown sugar has molasses in it and molasses has nutrients that the yeast likes. Plain white sugar works. Dissolve the sugar completely (shake shake shake your body!) in the Very Warm Water.

Take about a cup of THAT water and pour it into a cup of some kind. Add your yeast to it and let it sit. If the yeast foams and "Activates" then you know you have the right temperature and sugar mixture. IF you want to add the baking soda to the main bottle do so but NOT the "proofing yeast water" in the cup.

After you're satisfied that the yeast is activated and happy, pour the mixture into the main bottle, cap with your tubing apparatus, and wait about an hour for enough pressure to build up to force the CO2 out of the bottle through the tubing and into your diffuser.

Hope this helps. Cold water will not activate yeast....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks i will try
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok....heres my problem.

i got the bubble to start bubbling at 1 bubble per 3 seconds. is that good enough?

also, for some reason, the drop checker is still at blue and no bubbles is going into the tank. is it because i didnt put the tubing on tight enough onto the check valve or is there a problem from the bubble counter onwards....

any help is appreciated.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a bit low.
No bubbles into tank = no change on drop checker
Check your connections for leaks. Check that the check valve is installed in the correct direction. How long has it been? Sometimes it take awhile to really get going.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

how do i check if there are leaks....should i try taking out the check valve and just use one line into the diffuser?

its been on for 18 hours
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To check for leaks you mix up some water and soap and spray it on the joints.

Is this the same mixutre you had before or a new batch?

What diffuser are you using? How many/big are the bottles you're using?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

why water and soap?
this is a new batch that works. cuz on the second bottle b4 going into tank there are bubbles coming out into the water. and the diffuser is the turbo 200.

bottles are 2 liter and then a small container
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Soap forms a bubble that is easier to see than plain water, standard air/gas leak troubleshooting technique.

With (2) 2-liter bottles, I get more than a bubble/second with new bottles. For me it usually takes less than an hour to get bubbles.

I've never used that diffuser so don't know if it gets 100% dissolution of CO2 or if you get microbubbles. If you simply place the end of the tubing in the tank without the diffuser do you get bubbles?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
Soap forms a bubble that is easier to see than plain water, standard air/gas leak troubleshooting technique.

With (2) 2-liter bottles, I get more than a bubble/second with new bottles. For me it usually takes less than an hour to get bubbles.

I've never used that diffuser so don't know if it gets 100% dissolution of CO2 or if you get microbubbles. If you simply place the end of the tubing in the tank without the diffuser do you get bubbles?
Yeah I would get a steady 1bps for about 1-1.5 weeks with my mixture and two bottles. And bubbles through my nano diffuser in about an hour of making mixture. Sounds like a leak somewhere. And yes it makes micro bubbles
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

can you take a picture of the bottles?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok so if i plug the tubing straight from bottle into tank bubbles come out
if i plug the tubing into a bubble checker bubbles also come out.
However, the line that comes out of the bubble checker into the tank will not carry any co2 into it

any suggestions?
cuz when the line goes straight into the tank. the water kinda gets foggy....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When you say that bubbles do not go to the tank from the bubble checker was that with a diffuser on the end of the tubing or just the end of the tubing placed into the tank?

If there was no diffuser on the end of the tubing that came from the bubble checker into the tank then you have a leak associated with the bubble checker and you're losing your CO2 there.

If there was a diffuser on the end, try the tubing without the diffuser. If bubbles come out of the tubing then the diffuser requires too much pressure to operate and the increased pressure is causing a leak somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode