Planted Tank Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
I was feeling creative when it came to dealing with a recent BGA infestation in my tank, and came up with what I think is a good design for a BGA vaccuum cleaner.
First I removed the syphon end off my Python to have access to the clear tube that attaches to the sink. Next I found an adapter that takes that diameter hose down to airline tubing diameter. I used a Hagen test kit pipette (the plastic one), and cut off the top (the plastic bulb that you would normally use to suck the water out and put into the test tube) so it is open on both ends. Now I used this adapter to attach my tubing to the open end of the Python.
I added a piece of hard airline tubing so the whole thing can be wielded around the tank, and at the end I used about a 1 inch piece of silicone air tubing, that is sliced at the end to make it frilly. I cut about 10 1/2 inch slices at the end of this piece, and attached the un-frilled piece to the hard airline tubing.
When the water is turned on, the suction through the end is huge, and it is very easy to remove huge chunks of BGA off any plant without damaging it.
Works like a charm.