The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fry Play Box

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  xev11 
#1 ·
Hi there, this is my first post!

I wanted to share my first generation homemade fry play box. I used #14 clear plastic mesh and cut 1/4" holes out of 6 pieces and lashed it together with clear fishing line. I chose to enclose Riccia fluitans inside because of a half dozen or more unsuccessful attempts to grow this stuff. Its an important plant to me because of the algae it grows and feeds my fry. I am sure there are lots of different plants that would do well in one of these.

The purpose is designed to give a secure housing for "run-away" plants and a "safe play" area for fry for a quick escape from their mothers. The fry love it and I've spent hours watching them hanging out in groups safely inside their play box while their mothers pick the algae off the outside.

What do you think? :fish:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Wow I really like this. I was thinking of a way to try to save some of my guppy fry in my one take and I think this my be the way. I think I might use the plastic mesh with bigger holes though and not cut the holes as large I don't want to have the adults getting in. Thanks for the great idea.

#12 ·
Looks cool. I doubt my shrimp will be smart enough to know to go there when danger is nearby.
I'm thinking of doing something similar but more a custom breeder box. How does the size 14 net do with water flow? Does it let water circulate on its own?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.