DIY LED lights for ADA 120P need some Suggests - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

DIY LED lights for ADA 120P need some Suggests

Hi all

I have have finished from building my ADA 120P like tank now it is the time to build its lights for a high tech system

well i am targeting about 75 PAR (micromols) at substrate for HC growth as main plant ( correct me if i dont need all that PAR )

i did my home work and used One Way to Design a Planted Tank LED Light

I will use Cree XM-L2 ( http://www.fasttech.com/products/1277805 )

LED Spacing (inches) 5
PAR (micromols) 75
Number of LED rows 2
LED Height (inches) 28 from the substrate
Cone angle (degrees) 45
Lumens per LED 742

Cree XM-L Cool White LED Current (Amps)2.13

what i need your help with

1- what is the space between the rows is it the same as LED Spacing (inches) ??

2- is using a 45 lenses will not spoil much light out of the tank or should i use 30 degree lenses ?

3- and by using LED Spacing 5 inches that means i will need 10x leds in the row so that is total of 20 leds for the 2 rows ? ( correct me if i am wrong )

4 -about the heatsink i will be using one big heatsink , and i can get what ever size i want ( specially made ) so what is the good size for ADA 120P that is a 48 inch , is it better to be a bit smaller than the tank ? how much then ?

My Greetings from Egypt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamezawy View Post
Hi all

I have have finished from building my ADA 120P like tank now it is the time to build its lights for a high tech system

well i am targeting about 75 PAR (micromols) at substrate for HC growth as main plant ( correct me if i dont need all that PAR )

i did my home work and used One Way to Design a Planted Tank LED Light

I will use Cree XM-L2 ( http://www.fasttech.com/products/1277805 )

LED Spacing (inches) 5
PAR (micromols) 75
Number of LED rows 2
LED Height (inches) 28 from the substrate
Cone angle (degrees) 45
Lumens per LED 742

Cree XM-L Cool White LED Current (Amps)2.13

what i need your help with

1- what is the space between the rows is it the same as LED Spacing (inches) ??
That spacing should be about the same as LED spacing, but it doesn't have to be exact. One inch would be much too close, 10 inches would be much too far.
Quote:

2- is using a 45 lenses will not spoil much light out of the tank or should i use 30 degree lenses ?
You should have very little spillover light using 45 degree optics, if the light is about 12 inches above the top of the tank.
Quote:

3- and by using LED Spacing 5 inches that means i will need 10x leds in the row so that is total of 20 leds for the 2 rows ? ( correct me if i am wrong )
Yes, if you want the LEDs to run from about 2 1/2 inches from one end of the tank to about that same distance from the other end of the tank. You could probably do fine with just 9 per row, if the light is suspended about foot or so above the top of the tank.
Quote:

4 -about the heatsink i will be using one big heatsink , and i can get what ever size i want ( specially made ) so what is the good size for ADA 120P that is a 48 inch , is it better to be a bit smaller than the tank ? how much then ?
It doesn't matter what the length of the heatsink is as long as it is long enough to fit the LED spacing you want. It will probably look best if it is only slightly shorter than the tank length.
Quote:

My Greetings from Egypt
I didn't do the calculations, using that speadsheet, but I assume you used it right. You will have the fewest problems if you limit the maximum current to one amp (1000mAmps) or less, so the heatsink isn't so critical. And, be sure to use a LED driver that lets you dim the light. The spreadsheet isn't good enough to hit the exact PAR you design for, but if you only get 60 PAR you should still have plenty of light for HC.

Hoppy
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

A couple things I'd like to suggest for consideration. First, are you sure you want all cold light? Warmer lights still grow plants, just not as efficiently. You might want to go for the most visually pleasing color blend by mixing in some warm or nuetral leds on a seperate dimmer.

I haven't looked much, but most dimable drivers I looked at maxed out at 1amp. Maybe consider using twice as many LEDs that cost half as much.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thank you hoppy for your fast respond

so you recommend me to use a total of 18 leds running at 1000mAmps ?

and yes i will be using dimmable driver

thanks Rudger for your recommendation but how many cool white to warm white i mean how much is the ratio to give me that nice look ?

Last edited by Gamezawy; 07-19-2013 at 01:29 AM. Reason: missed
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

XM-L are so inefficient. What drivers are you using to power them? If you get proper dimming LED spacing is irrelevant as you can fine tune the output to whatever you want. A 6 LED cluster of XT-E or Rebels with 60deg optics can give you high light at 24" from substrate in a 15-18x15-18" area with ease with an LDD-1000H. Your tank is what? 48in long? 3 clusters can cover that easily. Look into getting a controller like a Typhon or make your own Arduino one. A ton more options will open up by adding a controller to your system.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by gus6464; 07-19-2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: ed
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamezawy View Post
thank you hoppy for your fast respond

so you recommend me to use a total of 18 leds running at 1000mAmps ?

and yes i will be using dimmable driver

thanks Rudger for your recommendation but how many cool white to warm white i mean how much is the ratio to give me that nice look ?
No, if you limit the current to 1000mAmps, you need more LEDs. It looks like you need about 24 LEDs. Here is the calculation:

Hoppy
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Algae Grower

If you need even coverage from front to back of the tank, work out the size of the cone of light with how high your fixture will be above your water surface. Roughly the radius of your hot spot of light = tan(lense angle/2) * height over water surface. Work with that to figure out what lenses you need, how high you want to mount the light, and what size heatsink(s) you need. I figure if you are spending the time and money to build your own, get it exactly how you want it or make it easy to reconfigure. I guess if the back of the tank is sloped up agressivly or has taller plants, the even coverage may not be desired.

As for the cool to warm light ratio, I just built one half and half and it was a lot of warm light by my standards, but I can just dim it down. If I did it again I'd likely try a 2 cool to 1 warm ratio, or maybe half and half cool and neutral white. Some people like adding in blue for moonlights or highlighting irradecent fish, but I don't care for the color. The mix of warm and cool does not give the same awful disco effect you see from adding blue and red LEDs

Last edited by Rudger; 07-19-2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: more ideas
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

You get disco from spacing the colored LEDs like you would your whites. That can easily be solved by clustering which is the most common way DIY LED setups are done nowadays anyway. I find it odd how DIY planted LED setups tend to spread emitters all over the place while reef ones are always done in clusters.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
You get disco from spacing the colored LEDs like you would your whites. That can easily be solved by clustering which is the most common way DIY LED setups are done nowadays anyway. I find it odd how DIY planted LED setups tend to spread emitters all over the place while reef ones are always done in clusters.
Would you use wide angle lenses on your clusters of color?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudger View Post
Would you use wide angle lenses on your clusters of color?
Yeah nothing less than 90deg for the colors and 60deg for the whites. I just put in an order actually for parts on a new light for my 29g. Consists of the the following:

2 tiny cannons on an intel heatsink fan unit and each cannon will have
6x Rebel ES 6500K w/ 60deg optics
1x Rebel ES Red w/ 90deg optics
1x Rebel ES Cool Blue w/ 90deg optics
1x Rebel ES Green w/ 90deg optics