Dosing Pump Guinea Pig - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dosing Pump Guinea Pig

I have yet to see anyone use one of these cheap pumps so figured I would give it a go. Does anyone see any potential problems using a couple of these on a digital timer capable of 1 minute increments to dose my micro and macros?

http://www.reefshops.com/dosing-pump...-per-hour.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

I wish I would have seen that before I decided to drop $70 each on 1/2 ml/min pumps. You cant realy beat that price for something witn a speed controller built in, but unless you have a large tank you'll have to make sure to dilute your solutions appropriately.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes I have a rather large tank, what pumps did you pick up? I wouldn't go out recommending these just yet, hah. Like I said I am the guinea pig. There are no reviews and I know of no one using them yet so we will see. They should be delivered any day now from China took about two weeks.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just ordered one from that site a few days ago. It shipped yesterday so hopefully I will have it to try out soon.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What size tank are you planning on using it on? What kind of configuration are you going to be running? Just macros?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I planned on macros for my 55... mostly I think my tank would benefit from a more regular dosing schedule. Sometimes I forget, or do them late, etc.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Same thing I was having an issue with figured why not automate it. Will report back once I get it going.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldStringham View Post
what pumps did you pick up?
I ordered the 3rpm 3mm norprene tube version of this: http://www.aptinstruments.com/Mercha...ory_Code=SP100

They also have a DC powered version for the same price.

I dont have them yet, but I know a simple timer will work fine with such a low flow rate.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just did a built just like this one (DIY Auto Doser Question).

Only problem is I couldn't get the pump down to 4ml per/minute. Could only get it down to 7ml unfortunately. Zilla digital timer worked great for me.

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is going on a 120 gallon tank so 10 ml or close would be fine.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Algae Grower

As an update on that APT pump I picked up, the flow rate is super slow. After running the pump for close to 4 hours, it pumped somewhere close to two-thirds cup of water. It is hard to comprehend just how slow it pumps, so I made a video here. About 1 drip every 4-5 seconds.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudger View Post
As an update on that APT pump I picked up, the flow rate is super slow. After running the pump for close to 4 hours, it pumped somewhere close to two-thirds cup of water. It is hard to comprehend just how slow it pumps, so I made a video here. About 1 drip every 4-5 seconds
Great for drip acclimation
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 AM
Planted Member

I'm going to be watching this too. I found some pumps like this on ebay a few weeks ago. I asked about them on here, but didn't get any responses. I am putting finishing touches on my diy auto doser (using mini jet 606s). But eventually plan to switch over to the BRS dosing pumps or some other peristaltic solution.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so the pumps came in today at first glance they look great. The small silicone tubing that runs through the pump had a few kinks in it that I had to work out before using I think it was just from sitting in the mail for so long who knows. However the once I worked those out the pump works great and is fairly quiet.

At the very lowest setting I am getting right at about 15-20ml a minute. Which is fine I would have liked it to be a bit lower however it will suffice. Hard to beat at this price especially considering there is no wiring or anything involved simply plug in set on a timer and call it a day. Now the real question when it comes to these cheap Chinese products is how long will it last? Time will only tell. I will post some pictures later when I get a minute.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudger View Post
As an update on that APT pump I picked up, the flow rate is super slow. After running the pump for close to 4 hours, it pumped somewhere close to two-thirds cup of water. It is hard to comprehend just how slow it pumps, so I made a video here. About 1 drip every 4-5 seconds.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMtMAYZ9eTs
If only I had the money that pump looks bulletproof compared to the Chinese pump I got. I guess you do really get what you pay for. That flow rate is insanely slow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode