The stock hose for the Fluval 104 wasn't long enough, as well as it being "ribbed" which deffinately reduces water flow through the hose. I also didn't like the output "nozzle" that came with the Fluval 104.
Being the DIY guy that I am... :P, I made my own
Input uses stock strainer, but I found that 3/4" vinyl tubing fits perfectly OVER the end of the strainer.
Outtake is actually a vertical "spray bar" made from 3/4" vinyl tubing. It has a few holes slightly bigger than 1/8" to direct the flow. Half of the holes are aimed torwards the front of the tank, while the other half are aimed sideways, across the back of the tank. After filling, I noticed it gave very good water movement within the tank yet had no surface agitation whatsoever. 3/4" was used as I had some on hand, and it was thick-walled making for better water directioning with the output holes, imho. (please excuse window blinds reflection)
Inside hoses are connected to 90deg 3/4" hose barbs, which are then connected to a 90deg. threaded PVC elbow(barb side threaded). This is then glued to a straight PVC-to-fem thread piece which has another hose barb for hose going to filter. 5/8" vinyl hose then routes to the Fluval 104 filter on the floor.
Full shot for refference. The tank was just filled, so theres a lot of light reflecting from all the tiny bubbles floating around.
Fluval 104 setup. The filter is in a 2g bucket due to being the first time it ran, as once in a while they have been known to leak upon very first run(usually to user error).