DIY Auto Doser Question - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Children Boogie

Yeah, those coralife timers are a pain to set up but it works. There are only 2 timer channels btw.

Yeah, electrical tape should work fine to cover exposed connections.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mistergreen can you recommend an adapter for me. I do not seem to have any laying around the house. Thank you.

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Children Boogie

[eBay links are not permitted]

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-08-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: eBay links are not permitted, even if obfuscated.
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Are these real?

Peristaltic pumps are best for dosing small amounts, like concentrated micros.

If you are dosing macros dissolved in relatively large volumes of water, the best method IMO is to use a little water pump sitting in the fert container, which pumps the liquid into your tank. You just plug it into a minute-precision timer, and control the amount of dosed solution by adjusting the orifice where the ferts are injected into the tank. Make sure it is above the waterline to prevent back flow into the container.

Toms Aqualifter (I suppose that is what you are talking about) has a very weak head pressure. 30" would be pushing it, and then you run into variations as the solution level drops.
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I am guessing I would just cut off the end of that adapter and attach it to the pins on the pump? Does it matter which wire touches which pin? What is the best way to attach the wire to the pin?

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Children Boogie

Yup, snip off the dongle thingy and expose the 2 wires. One is positive, the other negative. It does matter where it goes on the pump motor. The easiest way to find out is touch the wires to the motor's terminals. One way will work, the other not
If you do it quick, there won't be any harm and you won't get electrocuted either. It's only 12V @ 500ma. Once you find the correct wire to terminal combo, you make it more permanent by soldering or just twist the wires in the hole of the terminals.

post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright I think I'm going to give this a go. Just need to wait for the pumps to be back in stock. I will keep you update. Thanks for the help!

post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Adafruit has the pumps in stock now.. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1150
post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright I ordered the 2x pumps and 2x 12vdc adapters. Should be here Thursday. We will see if I can get this thing going then. Until then, thanks for the help.

Also need to start considering how I am going to mount the pumps...

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-09-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just for reference, you can get those same motors on ebay for $16.99 with free shipping (item: 161053539190). I just ordered 2 for my auto-dosing project. Two for $34 shipped instead of 2 for $60 shipped. However, they are coming from Hong Kong, so they may take a little longer to get.
post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalplay10 View Post
Alright I ordered the 2x pumps and 2x 12vdc adapters. Should be here Thursday. We will see if I can get this thing going then. Until then, thanks for the help.

Also need to start considering how I am going to mount the pumps...
Check out this thread for the mounting. It's done well.
Arduino auto dosser

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oh, If you feel daring later on, you can add a pot to the circuit to slow down or speed up the rate of flow.
This should explain everything.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5019464_wire...-resistor.html

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-13-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know I thought about a "pot" when you previously mentioned it but I took one look at it and remembered that I know nothing about wiring or voltage or anything. May I ask how you learned all of this? Books you would recommend? I'm always up for learning new skills.

I actually have an old cigar box I think I am going to use to mount these things in. Effective and it will look good. Does anybody have any idea what size hole drill bit I need to have a nice snug fit for these? Thank you.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-09-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Algae Grower

Unless these motors are super low power, I have a feeling using only a potentiometer in series will not have the effect you desire.
post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well if it is timed I can just test the amounts dosed over time and separate the two pumps by an hour or so. Should be doable. If I have to learn how to use a "pot" so be it... Won't be the end of the world.

post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Algae Grower

I just had a thought. If wiring a speed controller is beyond your ability: I remember seeing some universal power adapters for sale that have voltage selection switches on them. There should be options for 6, 9, and 12 volts. Of course you will only need this if too much is pumped in the minimum time frame for your timer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode