GE Silicone I not for Aquarium use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

GE Silicone I not for Aquarium use?

I've been out of the hobby for some time, and just siliconed my first diy nano last night.. I've redone the silicone on tanks before using this stuff, but that was years ago...

I was just reading through the fine print on the label looking for curing times and noticed that it says it's not for use below waterlines or aquariums.

That's news to me. Am I hosed? Do I need to pull all the silicone and start over or is this just GE covering their butts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So long as it is 100% silicone and not treated with any additives, it should be fine to use.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 PM

Silicone I (the blue tube) is safe to use. I think GE puts that warning on the tube as a disclaimer that they are not responsible if anything happens (i.e. a leak in an aquarium that floods your house).

GE silicone II (the red tube, for bathroom tiles) is not safe to use because of the anti-mildew additives.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Silicone I (the blue tube) is safe to use. I think GE puts that warning on the tube as a disclaimer that they are not responsible if anything happens (i.e. a leak in an aquarium that floods your house).

GE silicone II (the red tube, for bathroom tiles) is not safe to use because of the anti-mildew additives.
I agree. I made a tank similar to yours using the same silicone. Just make sure you give it a few days to cure and lose its smell and you should be fine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

This topic has been discussed more times than you can shake a stick at, I thought there was a sticky about it on this forum or another. I'll try to hunt it down for you.

Found it, it was at cichlid-forum: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...p?f=30&t=21234

If the link gets removed, just go to cichlid-forum --> DIY --> GE Silicone I sticky near the top
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
This topic has been discussed more times than you can shake a stick at
lol, I second that. Its on every forum I visit and its the number one choice for diy-ers on youtube. I resealed my 55g tank with it last year but that tank is still not up and running due to a change plans. But it does hold the water without problems. I trust that it will be safe for live considering its widely used.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - DIY Quad 40g Stands & 90g Stand
Planted Tank Journal
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd always used it before.. but I didn't remember the aquarium warning on it..

Had a slight moment of panic thinking that they had changed formulas.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

GE1 is safe but GE2 is not. I have used GE1 several times with no issues
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
This topic has been discussed more times than you can shake a stick at,
yet it's amazing how often people basically get it wrong.

GE offers a range of products targeted at consumer home improvement. Basically, there are two product lines: Silicone I and Silicone II. The only significant difference is that Silicone I is acid cure (it gives off acetic acid as it cures) while Silicone II is ammonia cure (it gives off ammonia as it cures). It's arguable that the cure has no impact on suitability for aquarium use, though typically acid cure silicone is stronger, with the downside that it's slower to cure.

Both Silicone I and Silicone II are available as "window and door" or "kitchen and bath." The difference between these variants is that the kitchen and bath product has a mold inhibitor. It's taken for granted on aquarium forums that the mold inhibitor is harmful, though honestly I don't recall ever seeing anything that proves that.

All of that information would point to Silicone I window and door as the best of these products.

When all is said and done, it's important to note that NONE of these products are "strong" when compared to other varieties of silicone. If you're doing a project where absolute strength is not a requirement it's probably OK and as noted above, GE Silicone I is very commonly used around fish tanks. If you're doing something that requires good strength, you're probably better off looking elsewhere. Momentive RTV108 or GE SCS1200 are common choices for a "better" silicone though they won't be in a generic hardware store. You can get them at places like Grainger, or online at Amazon or mcmaster-carr.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by All your base View Post
yet it's amazing how often people basically get it wrong.

GE offers a range of products targeted at consumer home improvement. Basically, there are two product lines: Silicone I and Silicone II. The only significant difference is that Silicone I is acid cure (it gives off acetic acid as it cures) while Silicone II is ammonia cure (it gives off ammonia as it cures). It's arguable that the cure has no impact on suitability for aquarium use, though typically acid cure silicone is stronger, with the downside that it's slower to cure.

Both Silicone I and Silicone II are available as "window and door" or "kitchen and bath." The difference between these variants is that the kitchen and bath product has a mold inhibitor. It's taken for granted on aquarium forums that the mold inhibitor is harmful, though honestly I don't recall ever seeing anything that proves that.

All of that information would point to Silicone I window and door as the best of these products.

When all is said and done, it's important to note that NONE of these products are "strong" when compared to other varieties of silicone. If you're doing a project where absolute strength is not a requirement it's probably OK and as noted above, GE Silicone I is very commonly used around fish tanks. If you're doing something that requires good strength, you're probably better off looking elsewhere. Momentive RTV108 or GE SCS1200 are common choices for a "better" silicone though they won't be in a generic hardware store. You can get them at places like Grainger, or online at Amazon or mcmaster-carr.
Thanks All Your Base! Being a small 12x12 cube, I don't know that I'll worry about needing a heavier duty silicone.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't say this out loud in certain crowds, but I wouldn't worry about it at that size either, assuming you're using good technique and getting reasonable sized fillets in the corners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode