DIY Aquarium + Filter System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lightbulb DIY Aquarium + Filter System

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the entire aquarium fish keeping experience and after alot of reading around on forums and watching youtube video's i've decided to start my own aquarium DIY project.
PS: English is not my first language so excuse me for any errors in my grammar.. thanks

I personally feel alot more satisfied if i create something myself from the ground up than to buy something (which is usually overpriced) already made, from the store.

I bought myself a completely made from glass, table.. which looks like this (for 60$)

Click image for larger version

Name:	chiesa-1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	159905Click image for larger version

Name:	chiesa-2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	159913Click image for larger version

Name:	chiesa-5.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	159921

It's hardened glass and has the right thickness for the amount of water that's going to be going in.

I like the curves of the table and i'm going to be turning it on it's side so it serves as the front and sides of the tank.

For the back and bottom of the tank i'm going to be using some kind of wood and paint it black with liquid pond paint (don't know it's exact name)
I've made some sketches so you have an idea of what i'm trying to do.

Name:	Frontside.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	159929Click image for larger version

Name:	Backside.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	159937

The tank is going to be sitting on the ground and i'm planning to place the filtration on top of the aquarium, i want the water to be drained up through simple PVC piping attached to an inline waterpump that is sitting above the water level.. The filter itself is going to be a simple trickle system made from a rubbermaid storage drawer (something like this)

Name:  storage drawer.JPG
Views: 4020
Size:  16.2 KB

with holes on the bottom of each drawer
the filter will have 3 types of filter media, mechanical, biological and chemical..
and the filtered water will drop back into the aquarium
details about the contents of the future aquarium:

Freshwater planted aquarium with driftwood and some rocks..
5 or 6 Discus
X Clown loaches (not certain how many yet)
X Neon Tetra's (not certain how many yet)
Perhaps some other species in the future depending on how i do with these first

my question is.. what type of pump is best to use for this type of setup?
any link's and any advice at all would be greatly appreciated..

thank you for your time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow what a great idea! My first concern is how are you going to get the back panel attached to the glass table? You might need something on the top so that the panels don't split at the seam.
Why not just buy a Hob filter. They don't cost much anyways

Last edited by stealthypotatoes; 06-17-2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Revise
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This look like an awesome idea. I don't have enough experience to suggest a pump, but I am sure someone will have the answer you are looking for. Good Luck with the project! I can't wait to see your progress!

Eheim Pimp Club member #541
Nikon Pimp #087
JerSaint's 36 Gallon 1st Planted tank Journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...958&highlight=
JerSaint's 20 Long Gallons of Shrimpy Fun
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...841&highlight=
Profile Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yo...025&n=JerSaint
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Planted Member

Yea I a HOB would be a good idea, I think that'll save time. This is my first time seeing this! Wow just wow. You must be really imaginative to do this aquarium. Good luck, I hope it's gonna turn out great!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Might I suggest an acrylic back or glass back..? The wooden back seems like a bad idea to me..

I like the look of that table though, it's very slick!
And that's a very cool filter idea. It's like a diy canister/sump thing. Cool.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have made some small tanks with ease,,,, using just one piece of wood for the back will
be difficult to make it hold and probably wont work. yo need to get another piece of glass.
with that being said the other problem that i see might be the black rim,, definately needs to be cleaned/scraped off as the silicone will not bond to this... if you like using this table i would suggest trying to get in touch with the manufacturer and see if you can get an unfinished version.. meaning no black on the rim plus the glass needs to be square.. i do not mean the corners i mean the edges.. see where the black is? on the parts above it and below it they are sanded smooth/rounded and should be square
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You need to make an ADA style cabinet with matching curved corners and run it rimless - would look really cool imho.

Keep it up. I just love diy-projects.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukekiller View Post
i have made some small tanks with ease,,,, using just one piece of wood for the back will
be difficult to make it hold and probably wont work. yo need to get another piece of glass.
with that being said the other problem that i see might be the black rim,, definately needs to be cleaned/scraped off as the silicone will not bond to this... if you like using this table i would suggest trying to get in touch with the manufacturer and see if you can get an unfinished version.. meaning no black on the rim plus the glass needs to be square.. i do not mean the corners i mean the edges.. see where the black is? on the parts above it and below it they are sanded smooth/rounded and should be square
I'm planning to place some black stainless steel L-profiles and just fill it up with silicone on both sides.. (perhaps i might use (SS) screws + silicone to attach those L-profiles onto the wood)

Name:	L-profiles.png
Views:	93
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	160433
Name:  sortov-prokat-ravnostranen-vinkel-1.jpg
Views: 2127
Size:  38.7 KB

Thanks for the advice though, i'm glad someone else thought about that problem aswell.. Also read some stuff about Stainless Steel in an aquarium.. In freshwater aquariums it doesn't seem like a problem.. just going to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsnork View Post
You need to make an ADA style cabinet with matching curved corners and run it rimless - would look really cool imho.

Keep it up. I just love diy-projects.
I'm going to be placing the tank on the ground and create a curved cabinet on top of the aquarium, so it won't be rimless but the cabinet will be smooth like the table and not stick out.... and i'm definitely going to go for a glossy finish..

Thanks guys for your comments btw.. keep the ideas coming! <3
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Don't listen to the doubting Thomas' here. A plywood back will work just fine. I think you have a great DIY project ahead of you. Can't wait to see further developments!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If need be i could create a metal frame against the wooden back to reinforce it... or just use a thicker type of wood.. i'l see what i'l do..
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

not trying to be negative,,, when i built tanks i looked at all the things that could go wrong so i could prevent them from happening,,, nothing like walking home to a tank that the seems have split with xxx amount of gallons of water all over the floor and all your fish dead. been there done that do not want to see that happen to others.

as for the build i hope you can get it to work,,, a few more suggestions,,,
when filling the tank, fill half way , wait a few hours and fill the rest of the way.
also do it outside to save time with the clean up if things go bad..
as for the ss angle not sure about how safe as i havent looking into that.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

also to add i would put some sort of cross brace across the back of the wood to help prevent any warping

i would go with 3/4 ply wood at minimal
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
ETK
Planted Member

Great project, looking forward to seeing it come together. Love the DIY filter using the drawers.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
not trying to be negative,,, when i built tanks i looked at all the things that could go wrong so i could prevent them from happening,,, nothing like walking home to a tank that the seems have split with xxx amount of gallons of water all over the floor and all your fish dead. been there done that do not want to see that happen to others.

as for the build i hope you can get it to work,,, a few more suggestions,,,
when filling the tank, fill half way , wait a few hours and fill the rest of the way.
also do it outside to save time with the clean up if things go bad..
as for the ss angle not sure about how safe as i havent looking into that.
i really appreciate you for pointing out potential flaws and risks in this build! i'm going to be placing it some place safe and follow your advice on filling it up half way. thanks again

Quote:
also to add i would put some sort of cross brace across the back of the wood to help prevent any warping

i would go with 3/4 ply wood at minimal
yes i was thinking of doing something of the sort aswell.. or some kind of metal frame..
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETK View Post
Great project, looking forward to seeing it come together. Love the DIY filter using the drawers.
Thank's mate.. i might change it up a bit with the filter..
I'm not entirely sure if i'm going for that idea.. but it will probably look alot like it.
Also, i saw 2 people mention the HOB filter to be a good idea..
but i disagree with this because i don't like the visible water in-take pipe of the filter to be seen, i like it to be as subtle as possible when it comes to filtering..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode