Wasserpests Fluidoser - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?
PTrader: (182/100%)
Hey Bob, glad I was able to entertain a little

This is working very well. I have it dosing micros for my 100gal, 36gal, and (later) 55gal tanks. I started it back in August and had enough liquid to dose 4 months, so I checked levels in December, and noticed that the 36gal dosing worked perfectly, while the 100gal was only about 50% of what I had planned. I exchanged one of the checkvalves with a fine Rex brass checkvalve to minimize the backward seeping.

Basically, when the syringe is filling up, all liquid should be pulled out of the container, and when it empties out, all of it should go into the tank/supplying line, nothing back into the container.

So the trick is to find 1) fairly good checkvalves and 2) have the level of solution at about the same height as the point of injection.

I have combined this one with the waterpump macro dosing. The fluidoser injects the micro solution via a "T" into the macro line, and then once a day all of it is flushed into the tank (see post #26). Works well, especially if you have to place this under your tank into the stand, pumping it up to the tank would probably not work due to the slow seeping of check valves.

The inventor of this suggested to try different checkvalves, like those tiny ones that are used for nasal sprays and such, but I haven't found an easy way to implement them.

Getting a patent for something like this, good idea, but pretty expensive. I would have to sell a lot of those to make it worth... For now, I'll keep my day job.
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?
1. Does the syringe kind of twist in the timer? It must...

Yes, the syringe tilts around the point where it is attached with the plastic wire clamp. Need to assure the syringe doesn't slip back and forth (I used some electricians tape to increase friction) but is not screwed down too hard to impede movement.

2. Do those clear plastic checkvalves work OK. What brand are they? (Not the black tetras obviously!)

I bought those in Germany, after finding out that the black ones didn't work. Don't remember the brand... Maybe buy a few here and there and see which ones work the best.

3. And you're only using this Liquid doser for the traces/iron? What, with straight Flourish or have you tried any CSM+B?

I am using it with a straight Flourish/Flourish Iron mixture. No experience with CSM+B. I was going to do phosphates the same way, but I can't inject it into the same line as the micros, plus the fairly diluted solution still degrades, so I am going towards the slow release as described in "Easier macro dosing".

4 Only dosing 2 ml /day six days a week on a 100 gallon? Hmm, maybe I'm overdosing.

Nope, I think I am underdosing... Go by Wolfen's recipe/EI. I am just on a mission to grow plants with minimum ferts.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?
Just wanted to update this with a picture of a more recent design - actually it just looks like the one I previously posted. Anyway...

With time, the plastic syringes harden, and it becomes increasingly difficult for the mechanics to keep things moving. All the connection points need to be really tough. I even glue the syringe to the black plastic bracket to keep it from slipping.

Maybe a glass syringe with a longer life plunger would be a good solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode