The Planted Tank Forum banner

Tank/Sump help for beginner

650 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Turxiat 
#1 · (Edited)
About a year ago I became interested in aquariums and bought a 30 gallon tank where I kept a bass. I just started construction on a house and want to incorporate a 125 gallon tank underneath my staircase. The reason for this is so that the front of the tank will be like a window into the living room while allowing me to hide the back/sides behind a styrofoam and quickcrete background underneath the staircase 'closet'. The tank I am thinking of buying from my lfs has 2 drilled holes in the back, one near the top of each corner. My question is: can I run the outflow directly from the tank without using a syphon or overflow box? I was thinking of putting the pvc directly into the tank with an elbow pointing up then placing a drilled cap on it near the waterline. I figured if the power cuts off then it will drain to the top of the outflow then stop draining to my sump. It seems like that would take less space than an overflow box and basically accomplish the same thing. I have never had a tank anywhere near this large but I am very interested in getting a tiger oscar and a jack dempsey. From what I've gathered about cichlids it seems that the sump would be the most efficient/cost effective filter and the added water capacity would definitely help keep them happy. ANY pointers/advice/criticism about this is extremely welcome! P.S. I think I added an image of the basic idea for the plumbing, hopefully it works.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.