DIY CREE LED build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

DIY CREE LED build

Hello everyone,

I'm helping a friend with a DIY LED fixture for his reef project.
Since English is not our first language please bare with me with any spelling or grammar mistakes.

a bit of background of his project :

Soft corals and LPS tank

Tank dimensions : 60" x 24" x 24"

light fixture would be 6"-9" above the tank unless advised otherwise

he's getting all the hardware from Rapidled.com

will be getting 3 x Drilled/tapped 6" x 20" Black Anodized Aluminum Heat Sink

http://www.rapidled.....num-heat-sink/

Basically he wants to know the best ratio between whites, blues and reds ( CREE unless advised otherwise )
if I'm not mistaken there are 108 LED spots.

I just want to mention that I'm using CREE XM-L U2 LEDs to light my Tropical Dart frog Vivariums and I'm very very pleased with them.
I know that lighting a reef has different variants to consider when putting together a light fixture. that's why I'm posting here to learn from all the experienced reef hobbyists.

We would appreciate your opinion of what LEDs would be he best bang for the buck and the rest of the hardware to fit the LEDs chosen as far as drivers, dimmer/controllers etc...

I'm using 120mm computer fans as active cooling over my fixtures and I guess that's what we will do for this project, well unless you guys advise otherwise .

Thanks in advance
Omer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'd probably be better off posing your questions as to the best ratio of blue/ red/& white leds on a REEF forum, but you may find answers to other aspects of the project around here too. Here's a good thread that can get you started-DIY LED FAQ - Where to begin?

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters.Lighting- Custom built DIY 600 watt LED system, BlueFish "mini" Led Controller,iAqua Aquarium Controller , and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

$55 just for a heatsink??? WOW... I bought from China 5.5"x23" about 9 $US works wery well...

Turkish boy from Hong Kong...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you go on their website they actually have pre made kits you'd still have to assemble with all the lights needed and a mapped out diagram. If not ledgroupbuy.com does

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

Everyone says Chinese stuff is really bad. But you can buy even CREE Led's from china and much much cheaper. Just you may know which seller, and which product is really good.

Im living in Hong Kong, so its so easy to buy something from China, but just for a heatsink... Its not really complex material. 55 $US is tooooo much for me... I can build whole LED lighting just for heatsink price in US...

Turkish boy from Hong Kong...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you don't need any red LEDs for a reef aquarium unless you plan on growing macro algaes or mangroves. as far as the ratio goes i would say a 2:1 white:blue ratio looks good. especially if you use dimmable controllers for each color.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
you don't need any red LEDs for a reef aquarium unless you plan on growing macro algaes or mangroves. as far as the ratio goes i would say a 2:1 white:blue ratio looks good. especially if you use dimmable controllers for each color.
That's too much white. You want either 1:1 white/royal blue or add a little more royal blue.

This forum has a ton of info on LED lighting for saltwater. Has a very good thread on making a full spectrum LED array too.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forum/25-lighting-forum/
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

www.rapidled.com have some really quality expensive equipments. The impressive ones are the solder-less types. It is sometimes a real hassle to work with solder, especially someone like me whom does not do a good job with soldering irons.

Not all China stuffs are of bad qualities, as long as they've got a tight QC in the end-product. It should last quite awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode