The Planted Tank Forum banner

My knock-down/flat packable aquarium stand

15K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  Tyrone 
#1 ·
I thought I'd start a build journal for my new stand. The stand is going to be for my new custom 150g wide tank and I had a couple of specific requirements for the build, which will hopefully make for an interesting journal.

Firstly, this setup is going to be the centerpiece of our apartment, so I want the finished stand to look like a nice piece of furniture.

Next, the aquarium itself is going to be quite shallow, so I wanted the stand to be quite tall to visually compensate for this. The dimensions of the stand are around 5ft X 3ft X 3ft, which is too wide to fit through the hallway/door for our apartment, so I decided to build it so I could easily disassemble it and flat pack it for moving. I put a lot of thought into how best to do this while still having a strong supporting structure, and I came up with a solution involving some sturdy joinery and some interesting bits of connecting hardware.

Another feature that is a little different about this stand is that I wanted it to have legs rather than sitting with its full length on the floor. I think this is more aesthetically pleasing and will make it easier to shim the stand and clean up potential spills in the future.

The final major limitation of this build is that I live in a small apartment and don't have any power tools (except for an electric drill), so I'm going to be building the entire thing using only hand tools. I'm only an amateur woodworker, and my tools and skills limit the kinds of cuts and joints I can reliably make.

Ok, with that background out of the way let's move on to the build!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm building the stand primarily out of poplar 1x4s that I picked up from a local lumber yard. It's good quality wood with nice square corners and minimal warping and was relatively affordable. Doubling up these boards results in a board that's much nicer and stronger than a typically pine 2x4. The legs of the stand will consist of two or three of these boards laminated together. Here are the first set of boards cut to size...

and glued together

#4 ·
A lot of the joinery in this build will involve long 90mm bolts running through several pieces of wood so it was important to accurately drill straight holes and have everything line up. A drill press would have made this easier, but I don't own one, so I made do with a nice little drill guide from Lee Valley tools. This was easy to use and gave pretty nice results.

Here's the guide:

You start out by using a punch to mark the location of the hole

and then add a 3/16" bushing over that and use it to fit the guide in place and secure it

The you pull out the bushing and replace it with a new bushing sized to the drill bit that you're going to use (1/4" in my case). Using a high quality brad point drill bit also make it easier to get clean accurate holes.

#5 ·
The end result of all that drilling was a bunch of nice straight holes. This is one of two strips of plywood that will eventually be used to attach the top to the sides. It has holes for 4 connector bolts.

Here they are attached to the top and base of the stand using pocket hole screws.

I carefully lined up the holes in those pieces to make matching sets of holes through the plywood sides and into some 4 x 1.5 pine screw strips. These screw strips are a central part of the build - all the other parts of the tank will attach together using these strips. To provide an attachment point for the top and base to the sides, I'm using some threaded insert nuts.

I drilled and glued these into the screw strips using Gorilla Glue

I then drilled pairs of holes in the ends of the screw strips to accommodate cross dowel/barrel nuts.

#6 ·
I then attached the screw strips and the legs to the plywood sides. Here's a completed side panel:

You can see the "mortise" holes in the legs to allow for the long cross pieces to attach. I didn't have the skills or tools to cut out true mortises, so you can see I just accomplished this by leaving spaces in the center board when I laminated the legs together.

#9 ·
Here's the full sequence of assembly:

The cross pieces fit into the mortise holes in the sides

You can see that I opted for a protruding through tenon (or whatever the analogous term is for the insert part of a bridle joint). This is partly an aesthetic design feature and it also means that the joint will allow for a little expansion or contraction of the wood without leaving an unsightly hole or protrusion. It's hard to tell from the pic but I chamfered all the corners of the tenon.

Next, a 90mm connector bolt gets driven through the lined up holes in all the pieces and into the cross dowel in the screw strip, securely pinning the bridle joint in place.

Here you can see an inside edge of the leg with the strips that will support the base. The little notches accommodate the supporting strips that run front to back along the underside of the base.

The middle legs also have connecting bolts that screw into cross pieces that are fitted with cross dowel barrel bolts.

The top cross attach the same way as the bottom ones

These are the holes in the side panels which lead to the insert nuts in the screw strips that I pictured earlier

The top of the stand gets slotted into place and then the bolts get driven through into the insert nuts in the screw strips

And here's the (almost) complete stand structure. One thing that's missing is that the base isn't currently in place. Ordinarily the base would be fitted in before the top and attached to the sides in a similar way, but due to some minor alignment issues with the holes I needed to make some slight modifications so it's not included in this shot.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. Next up I need to build the doors, install some edging on the plywood top and then prime and paint the whole thing.

#14 ·
#17 ·
great job working with minimal resources; this clearly shows the mind is our most important resource ;)

I was going to give you the idea to maybe mortise a small square and inset a small block to cover up the 90mm bolts a la Greene and Greene, just to hide the hardware. I was searching for a picture to link you when I found this:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/more/top-tools-for-2010/?catref=wd200&page=6

Just an idea to fuel the fires, hope it helps.
That's a cool idea. I've been thinking of doing something similar with some sort of magnetic cap.

#19 ·
Very nice design and build on the stand!! Even more so considering the lack of power tools and the nice fitment of all the parts.

All my cats do when we are working on a project is get in the way, though they have tested the strength of the shelves on the racks we put up for the fish room.:hihi:

#21 ·
I am very inspired by your work! I'm always using the excuse not to build things because I don't have a shop or the proper tools, but I have WAY more "shop" space AND tools then you so now I have ZERO excuse not to build.

I like your design choice, although I'm a little bit leery about your hardware choices. I work in furniture and use those bolt and barrel nut combination for a lot of bunk beds we sell and they like to work loose after a while. But your wood choice is far sturdier than what our bunk beds are made of so it will probably work better then I've seen.

#23 ·
I like your design choice, although I'm a little bit leery about your hardware choices. I work in furniture and use those bolt and barrel nut combination for a lot of bunk beds we sell and they like to work loose after a while.
Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye out to check for potential loosening. The nice thing about this design is that the heads of the bolts will still be accessible on the finished stand, so I should be able to easily tighten them up if I notice them working loose. Also, most of the weight of the aquarium itself will be supported by the wooden joints. Given that the bolts are not really load bearing, hopefully there won't be any catastrophic failures if then work a little loose.

#25 ·
Try blue Loctite on those fasteners (can't remember the number). Intended for temporary holding of fasteners over 1/8 or something like that. Should keep them from backing off, but still allow the stand to be disassembled in the future (unlike red). Just as a safety measure. The stand shouldn't see the same types of shifting loads as a bunk bed. Tank stands tend to be static, unlike a kid's bed.

#27 ·
Time for a quick update. Progress has been slow because I got busy with work but I'm pretty close to done. Here's an update on the doors.

Given that the stand is quite a large piece of furniture and is going to be dark brown, I thought that having solid doors would make the whole thing look too dense, dark and overbearing in the room. So I opted to go for lighter doors in the style of shoji screens.

Here's all the wood laid out for one door with pocket holes drilled

Assembling the outer frame of the doors

Assembling the inner lattice (I would have benefited from some additional clamps here)

Fully assembled door

Passing the rigorous kitty inspection

I finished the doors with a couple of coats of dark brown paint and backed them with a layer of sturdy laminated shoji paper

#30 ·
sweet doors and overall build. i've been on a mission in my local lumber yards to source some quality hardwood. Loving the pocket hole idea and looking to bypass the 2x4 build for something more stylistic. were all these pieces cut with a dozuki? I also considered making drawers to neatly pack away some fish foods but figured my build was already overly ambitious being that its a double aquarium stand.

thanks for the inspiration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.