My DIY CO2 it's not producing bubbles. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My DIY CO2 it's not producing bubbles.

Simple setup I thought. Two generators, tubes into the middle bottle, their tubes get about an inch into the water (wanted to count bubbles), middle bottle runs up to the tank, through a check valve.

Each bottle had a cup of sugar, and 1/8tsp yeast.

Been waiting for four hours with nothing happening.

The tubing fit VERY snug, needed pliers to get it through the 3/16" holes, but it's not pinched shut, so I don't think there are leaks.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367460806644.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	136474  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

It may take up to 12 hours to start producing bubbles. The more yeast you put in the faster it will produce. If by the morning you dont see bubbles then you have a leak.

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

You should be able to see if there are tiny bubbles forming in your mix it might take some time for them to start forming or if you want you could spray the connections with some soppy water to find out if there are any leaks
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Re: My DIY CO2 it's not producing bubbles.

Do I have enough mix in the reactors?

What recipe do you all use?

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

I fill mine up to where the bottle neck starts and add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast..... it produces a lot of bubbles but will only last 7-10. I find its more consistent than if i put less yeast in which produces less bubbles but last 14-20 days. The key is to have a good difffuser, i use the hagen mini underwater filter its perfect for diffusing DIy co2

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme

Last edited by stevenjohn21; 05-02-2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Algae Grower

I use two liter pop bottles with 2 cups sugar ,2Tbs molasses, 1 tsp yeast , it produces allot of bubbles for 4 to six weeks. The less air space you have in the bottles the better I fill to where the bottle starts to curve in or a little higher also I add two drops of cooking oil after mixing the ingredients until completely dissolved
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My guess is that right now you're building pressure in all of that air space you have inside the bottles, which may take a while. You can leave it alone and wait it out, or add more water to reduce the airspace.

Also, how hot was the water when you mixed it all together? It needs to be warm enough for the sugar to dissolve completely, but if it's too hot you'll kill the yeast.

I use mason jars for my generators, and currently I'm using 3 cups water, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in each jar.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It was hot from the tap. But not hot-hot.

I may add more water...to all three bottles?

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, just enough to reduce the airspace inside. Don't fill them too much though or they can slobber nasty gun through the line and into the tank. I generally leave 1" of airspace.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

that's why I have the middle bottle, it should help eliminate any gunk traveling to the tank.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I like the two outer bottles dumped into the center much better than all three meeting at a tee, that's a good setup if you can get it sorted out and producing properly. I really think the excess airspace is your issue.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's been reduced now. We'll see what happens overnight

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 AM
Planted Member

Did you mix up your yeast in 110-115 degree water prior to adding it to the sugar water bottles?

I also add in a splash of orange juice, a bullion cube, and a multi-viteman. This is supposed to help the yeast live longer as the alcohol % increases.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Planted Member

a quick search on web: Anything above 120 F the yeast starts dying, and at 140 F all the yeast is surely dead.
depends on yeast, and warm tap water can reach 120F+ easily

its like protein/ enzyme, when it reach certain temperature, it denature and no longer function; think about egg white, once its "cooked", the structure changed permanently and cannot be reversed
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseanm247 View Post
Did you mix up your yeast in 110-115 degree water prior to adding it to the sugar water bottles?

I also add in a splash of orange juice, a bullion cube, and a multi-viteman. This is supposed to help the yeast live longer as the alcohol % increases.
excellent point about the water temp - yeast will not be happy in that range. I always get my wort down to 80F before pitching the yeast when I brew.

Also, I'll offer my opinion as a brewer that the multivitamin is a waste. Each strain of yeast has its own tolerance to alcohol. I don't think a multivitamin is going to change that.

While I'm at it, I'll throw out there that a lager yeast seems to be the best choice for our aquarium DIY co2 purposes. It's slower fermenting than most, will give a longer and more steady co2 output.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode