My DIY CO2 it's not producing bubbles. - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
lager yeast seems to be the best choice for our aquarium DIY co2 purposes. It's slower fermenting than most, will give a longer and more steady co2 output.

Havent heard about Lager yeast and wanted to try.
Is this the one you are referring to?

e bay Item number:

I usually use Lalvine E118 wine yeast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Planted Member

Am damn sure that u have not added correct amnt of sugar add upto 3 cups

My 40 Gallon Planted Tank - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...898&highlight=

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Re: My DIY CO2 it's not producing bubbles.

Doesn't look like the yeast is alive to me. You should have fizzing going on in there. I mix the water in the bottle with the sugar and a pinch of baking soda thoroughly until the sugar is dissolved completely.. The water is about 120. Then I take a cup of that water and add my yeast to it and allow it to "proof". About 15 minutes the yeast should be foaming nicely. THEN I add it to the bottle mixture and cap. This seems to work 100% of the time. Try using the bottle water that way and see if you get joy.

Cheers
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm at work and can't get to fleabay. Here's a list of lager yeasts from northern brewer (my fav brewing supply site, but there's plenty). You may have best results, though, (and save shipping) by just looking for a local Homebrew shop, walking in, and asking for any lager yeast. I bet there's a homebrew shop near you that you never knew was there.

I'm surprised to hear you say you usually use wine yeast, though. I also make wine and that yeast is pretty picky. With beer, you select your yeast based on the characteristics you want from it - beer strains will chew on anything. With wine, though, you gotta pick the yeast that works with the juice you're fermenting. (oversimplification, but that's the jist.)
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobos View Post
I use two liter pop bottles with 2 cups sugar ,2Tbs molasses, 1 tsp yeast , it produces allot of bubbles for 4 to six weeks. The less air space you have in the bottles the better I fill to where the bottle starts to curve in or a little higher also I add two drops of cooking oil after mixing the ingredients until completely dissolved
I'm curious. what is the molasses for? extra food for the yeast? what does adding cooking oil to the co2 mixture do?
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Algae Grower

same here

I"m having issues with my setup up as well. I didn't dechlor the water first. For the sugar mixture, I boiled water and sterilized the inside of my bottle and mixed the 1.5cups sugar with the boiling water. Then mixed the sugar and let it cool to luke warm. I took around a quarter cup of warm water out of the tap and mixed the 1/4tsp yeast and let it sit for 10 minutes. It never started foaming.

I added it to the mixture. Before I went to bed I added another 1/4 tsp yeast. Activating it the same way. Again, no foaming.

Now the whole thing has sat over night and is not producing bubbles. I see carbonation inside the reactor but its not creating much pressure. If I stir or shake the bottles a little it start producing but not while sitting still. Its a 1.5 liter bottle.

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
With wine, though, you gotta pick the yeast that works with the juice you're fermenting. (oversimplification, but that's the jist.)
Yeah, there are quite a number of Lalvine wine yeast and the EC-1118 is fast fermenting. I get Co2 bubbles in less than 5 mins compared to regular yeast sold on groceries store.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJL Creative Solutions View Post
I"m having issues with my setup up as well. I didn't dechlor the water first. For the sugar mixture, I boiled water and sterilized the inside of my bottle and mixed the 1.5cups sugar with the boiling water. Then mixed the sugar and let it cool to luke warm. I took around a quarter cup of warm water out of the tap and mixed the 1/4tsp yeast and let it sit for 10 minutes. It never started foaming.

I added it to the mixture. Before I went to bed I added another 1/4 tsp yeast. Activating it the same way. Again, no foaming.

Now the whole thing has sat over night and is not producing bubbles. I see carbonation inside the reactor but its not creating much pressure. If I stir or shake the bottles a little it start producing but not while sitting still. Its a 1.5 liter bottle.

Where can I get that red and green airline fittings on top of your blue bottle caps?
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
Where can I get that red and green airline fittings on top of your blue bottle caps?
Same, those would help ensure a good seal

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuhuman View Post
I'm curious. what is the molasses for? extra food for the yeast? what does adding cooking oil to the co2 mixture do?
i believe the molasses would be to give the yeast a longer-lasting food source... sugar is a quick source and will be used quickly. kinda the same thinking as white bread vs. whole wheat.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
i believe the molasses would be to give the yeast a longer-lasting food source... sugar is a quick source and will be used quickly. kinda the same thinking as white bread vs. whole wheat.
Actually I think the idea is that the molasses has nutrients in it that are refined out of white sugar.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibble View Post
Same, those would help ensure a good seal

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Hobby Shops. They are vinyl bulkhead fittings for the brake lines in RC cars. They took some time to find. Even the guys in the shops didn't know what I was looking for. Good luck explaining what you're trying to do with it. I got a blank expression from the guys when telling them the items intended purpose. Dont think they really cared. I searched the whole shop and finally found it.

Last edited by GJL Creative Solutions; 05-02-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: none of your business
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Actually I think the idea is that the molasses has nutrients in it that are refined out of white sugar.
then why add it in addition to white sugar?
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cost would be my first guess.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuhuman View Post
The yeast will last longer in brown sugar so brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses cheaper to just add the molasses than buy the brown sugar. The drops of cooking oil stops the foaming that can occur so it does not get into the air lines if you top up your bottles like i do ( Less air space )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode