glass thickness for a 40 gal breeder rimless? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbust_1 View Post
In that same argument I can flex and snap the original plastic very easy. The part that will give the added strength will be the top piece. So take that same piece of oak and flex it. Yes it bends and you can snap it. Now take a L shaped piece and bend it. It's a lot tougher.
O.K. ~ Try this logic, if you're wrong....you're flooded. If I'm right or wrong my floor is still dry if you tank fails.

Best of luck.
DogFish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: wis
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish
Quote:

Originally Posted by dustbust_1

In that same argument I can flex and snap the original plastic very easy. The part that will give the added strength will be the top piece. So take that same piece of oak and flex it. Yes it bends and you can snap it. Now take a L shaped piece and bend it. It's a lot tougher.

O.K. ~ Try this logic, if you're wrong....you're flooded. If I'm right or wrong my floor is still dry if you tank fails.

Best of luck.



Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
jamesjkl is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: wis
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjkl
Quote:

Originally Posted by DogFish

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustbust_1

In that same argument I can flex and snap the original plastic very easy. The part that will give the added strength will be the top piece. So take that same piece of oak and flex it. Yes it bends and you can snap it. Now take a L shaped piece and bend it. It's a lot tougher.

O.K. ~ Try this logic, if you're wrong....you're flooded. If I'm right or wrong my floor is still dry if you tank fails.

Best of luck.




Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
if you can ben a oak 2x2 more than a 1/4 inch in a 3 ft pc without standinf on the end i want a intro to you trainer


Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
jamesjkl is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeandCarrie View Post
If it is available to you, Teak would be ideal. A good oiled finished with a wax buffed in to pollish it up would make Oak work just fine though.

just my 2c
Teak would be nice but Oak is more readily available around here. Im actually going to use a teak oil first 2 coats, sand, stain, outdoor Poly. That will hold up to any amount of water.

Ive used teak on making knife handles and it stands up to weather Very well.
dustbust_1 is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 108
here is the rim I made. Trust me, with 2 hands you will not be able to break this.

I will still do a months leak test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40-1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	139770  

Click image for larger version

Name:	40-2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	139778  

dustbust_1 is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Warlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 884
Op..

What is stronger than the silicone already on tank now. .

I agree plastic rim is there more for hood and lights. . Not structure. .

Also. . Dont fill it up all the way to top rim
Warlock is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome