Lexan lid. How well does silicone adhere to lexan (polycarbonate) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
Lexan has a lower flexural strength than acrylic, meaning it is more susceptible to bowing or bending. I'm guessing yours not bowing is due to the thickness of the lid and not the material.

On the upswing, your lid is probably bulletproof and looks fantastic.
Hmm good point. The Lexan is a good bit thicker than the acrylic I was working with.
Sponsored Links
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the building process. But basically I just cut the lexan sheet (1/8") to the shape of my aquariums using an acrylic scorer. My tank has curved edges on the front so I took my carving knife and roughly shaped the front corners and then sanded them to get a smooth curve. I cut the lid in half where I wanted to put the hinge, layed the two pieces together, taped them down and squeezed out a thick line of silicon over it. I then took my fingers and ran them over the edges of the silicone to spread it thin on either side of the cut to increase the surface area between the glue and lexan. Let dry for 48hrs and they were good to go.

To maintian the low profile look I decided against making a handle for the lid. If i'm working in the tank I take two suction cups tied together with fishing line to suction the front of the lid to the back of the lid if that makes sense. Works like a charm and I have plenty of room to access anywhere inside of the tank

Here is the adhesive I used
Name:  IMG_1327.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  58.2 KB

Last edited by Digs; 08-11-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add picture
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Silicone will adhere fine with Lexan if you rough up the surface a bit. I did an internship at a company that made a competing polycarbonate product and ended making a 12" cube that held water with regular silicone adhesive (not even the good stuff that professionals use) out of some leftovers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode