Plastic grid on riccia stones - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plastic grid on riccia stones

I am not sure where I saw a post of it before but I remembered the idea and I am testing it now. Essentially, the idea was to take the plastic cross stich grids and use heat to form them around stones. This makes the grid a simple snap on deal and eliminates tying and retying. Ill take pictures of the stones once I see the result of the test stone with riccia on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Algae Grower

I think your think of the stainless steel grids. I read the same thing as well. You will find the Plastic canvas has way to small of a holes for light to go through. If you want to try forming a shape to a rock with some thing, try the plastic gutter sheilds you get at the local home centers. I made a couple out of this stuff but found it real touchy towards heat.
Shane
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Green Water Master

the cross stitch stuff works, you need to have a lot of heat to get them pliable like from a heat gun or torch, boiling water doesnt cut it. The other problem is that there is not a lot of room for error when heating as they will quickly melt. best of luck! and I am looking forward to pics.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Heres some examples of how the rocks look after being covered.

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c0001529bl.jpg

The test rock with riccia attached is growing slowly. Once it looks semi decent i'll snap a picture.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenoctem
Heres some examples of how the rocks look after being covered.

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c0001529bl.jpg

The test rock with riccia attached is growing slowly. Once it looks semi decent i'll snap a picture.
You probably read one of my threads on heat forming the cross stich screens. Once I got a new head for my propane torch it became a piece of cake to get them formed without collapsing the holes in the mesh.

Unfortunately, by the time I perfected my method I had decided to abandon Riccia from my tanks due to the upkeep it requires.

Anyway, looks like you've done a great job of forming them yourself. The Riccia grows fine through the screen and it is a lot easier than using hairnets or other tying devices.

óBill
| My site
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ah so that was you. Thanks for the idea Bill! Yeah, i fear this riccia thing migth be a phase..its a pain to keep under control.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Planted Member

I will agree with the tying part. It looks like a pretty good idea. ICan a heat gun be used also? I would think that it would be pretty easy with one.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against
love.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

How do you use the grid? You just stuff pieces of Riccia under it after it's formed on the rock? Looks interesting, so I'd like to try it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well... i used to be one of those pyro kids that liked to melt things. So, melting plastic used to be a hobby of mine i guess. I do not use a heat gun or propane torch. I use a slighty hazardous method using only my hands and an open flame so i don't recommend others do it.
I use a gas stove and hold the grid and rock about 2-3 inches above the flame, i try to apply the heat only to the specific area that i will be forming around the rock (more like folding, since the rocks are nice and flat). Holding it at a certain distance away from direct flame makes the melting point of the plastic easier to notice. The plastic starts to turn a little clear as it melts (similar to how hot glue turns from opaque to translucent as it melts) and i immediatelty form that section around the rock (this can burn you if you let the plastic melt for too long, maybe some kind of silicon glove/potholder can be used to protect ones hand). Then i douse the section in cool water to speed up the cooling and solidifying process. The grid only covers the top, sides, and about a centimeter of the underside perimeter of the rock. You can cut notches in the grid near underside folds to prevent bunching of the plastic and allowing for flex, wich will ease in removal and application of the grid cage.

Using the rocks is pretty simple, i just snap them off...it usually involves easing them out of the plastic shell one section at a time. Then i place some riccia or moss in the grid cage and work the rock back into place, no tying knots or wrapping with string. I would assume that maintenance would be simpler since i can just remove the rocks from the tanks and trim them outside without any plant clippings floating around in the tank after.

I have yet to see how the riccia or moss will fill in the grid spaces, hopefully it will all be green with no plastic bits peeking through.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenoctem
I have yet to see how the riccia or moss will fill in the grid spaces, hopefully it will all be green with no plastic bits peeking through.
If you've placed enough Riccia along the sides of the rock the Riccia will grow through and cover the mesh completely. It is a neat way to weigh down Riccia as it is a neatly contained unit. I've also used stainless steel screen or perforated plate, but since they don't contain the Riccia (only lay on top of it) removing the Riccia for trimming does create a floating mess that needs to be netted out afterwards.

óBill
| My site
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to ringram
I've tried plastic mesh on slate rock before and it didn't get enough light as the riccia turned brown and died.
It does fine for me just floating in the tank. It's little or no maintenance and kind of looks neat that way, I think. I don't think I'd have the patience to keep it up as a foreground plant. That's why I don't have glosso anymore.

90g journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...rnal-pics.html
---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member - http://www.sfbaaps.com/

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

plastic mesh such a mess and PITA its not worth messing with. So far I've found the best thing for rock attaching riccia is a bath sponge.

If you disasemble it you can strech the thin grid over your rock and ziptie it down. this will give the Riccia plenty of area to draw light from as well it does not smash the riccia down initially and kill it.
And is also alot less work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode