Cheap DIY liquid doser - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really dont know WHAT YOU JUST SAID...

But it worked with a very small hole in the T. I noticed that this hole was the most important, as it really effected how fast it doses and how fast or slow it fills. Still working on the tubing refill cause it filler 15ml twice in an hour, then it filled 7.5ml once, then 12ish the third time. As long as it at least doses 11 average over a week of tri-weekly dosing, hmm I dont care as long as it doses something. Welcome to my world!

IF ITS GONNA GROW, ITS GONNA GROW! IDK anymore

But Id guss this really doesnt matter since im changing water weekly!

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

I'm saying that it works fine while testing by blowing through the tube, but when you hook it up to an airpump for a minute then additional unwanted liquid enters the coil from the fill hole making it difficult to get an accurate dose.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmm, still cheacking doses... still averaging 10 ml on a supposed 15ml dose. Its going down!

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Hello, I am looking for a good 2 part dosing system that's cheap and I don't mind if it's a relatively simple DIY project. I found this using Google. Does anyone know if they have gotten this fairly well ironed out or is there still significant issues with this design?

I'm having to dose a fairly significant amount of calcium. Approximately 2 - 3 cups per day of calcium chloride to keep it at 400. Alk remains stable with around 2 to 3 tablespoons of baking soda per day. If I ever go out of town I'll need to auto dose alk also in a dissolved solution. That's in addition to 1.5 gallons per day of top off kalkwater!

In a 125g tank with 30 gallon sump.

I read most of the posts and some say it works, some say it doesn't. I'm not looking for overly accurate, just something that would keep up with my alk and ca depletion on a weekly basis.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Are these real?

My guess is that only the OP has gotten it to work reliably.

I'd suggest you look into peristaltic pumps. The "water pump dosing" might work as well, a bit cheaper, with the added benefit of agitation of the solution.

Check out my signature link for various autodosing methods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode