Co2 + Air Pump + HOB = Co3??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Co2 + Air Pump + HOB = Co3???

I am using a Hagen Nutrifin DIY Co2 system, and a seperate baking powder & vinegar system. Both were rated for 40gal, and my tank is 65gal.

I use the aqueon 55/75 HOB filter, and a 100 whisperer air pump for my sand fall.

My Co2 tester is a darker blueish green, and never the medium tone green like this color

Does the airpump and HOB filter oxygen producing properties negate the Co2?

Wouldn't this combo create Co3?

It is a new tank in it's 3rd week. Lost all 6 fish I put in on week 2. I assume it is from it not cycling, albeit I used 10gal from my pond. However, Co3 poisoning has crossed my mind too. I only do petsmart water tests, and they have said my water was fine since week 1. Some fish bones would argue differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwho View Post
I am using a Hagen Nutrifin DIY Co2 system, and a seperate baking powder & vinegar system. Both were rated for 40gal, and my tank is 65gal.

I use the aqueon 55/75 HOB filter, and a 100 whisperer air pump for my sand fall.

My Co2 tester is a darker blueish green, and never the medium tone green like this color

It is a new tank in it's 3rd week. Lost all 6 fish I put in on week 2. I assume it is from it not cycling, albeit I used 10gal from my pond. However, Co3 poisoning has crossed my mind too. I only do petsmart water tests, and they have said my water was fine since week 1.8 Some fish bones would argue differently.
I do not believe that water will provide nearly the same benefits as established filter.media and/or substrate.

That said.. co3 happens between monoxide and oxygen but I do not believe it happens between dioxide and oxygenreadily.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:

It is a new tank in it's 3rd week. Lost all 6 fish I put in on week 2. I assume it is from it not cycling, albeit I used 10gal from my pond. However, Co3 poisoning has crossed my mind too. I only do petsmart water tests, and they have said my water was fine since week 1. Some fish bones would argue differently.
i just realized that you probably meant No3 rather than co3. if that is the case, then yes, it could be an issue if it is high enough. it would be a good idea to check out the API kits to test for that (the mast kit can be hand in the 20 dollar range if you look around online, and is pretty cheap insurance.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:

No. It won't. If it did we'd be in trouble. Just putting two substances together won't form molecular bonding. Plus the majority of the atmosphere is nitrogen. Oxygen is only around 27%. CO3 is a highly unstable ion at best.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, probably. The excessive surface agitation will simply cause the CO2 to diffuse out of the water column quickly.
Quote:
No, for various reasons.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. I am such a n00b to science. I know now that my fish died due to nitrogen cycle not finishing, Co3 isn't being made in my tank, and No3 is a cool way of saying nitrates. I wonder if petsmart test for No3.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I am such a n00b to science. I know now that my fish died due to nitrogen cycle not finishing, Co3 isn't being made in my tank, and No3 is a cool way of saying nitrates. I wonder if petsmart test for No3.
I am sure if you bring in a sample of water they will test it for you (though it may vary from store to store).

A nitrate test kit is not a bad thing to have yourself as well.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
co2, co3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode