The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY stand for a multi-tank setup (56k)

10K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  p.lewis 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a thread to share pictures of my cabinet build for a unique setup (I haven't seen it before, but I haven't looked that hard either). I built this whole thing using only a few tools that I think most folks have. It only took a few hours to do.

Materials: part of a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" thick oak veneer plywood. Four 1"x4"x8' premium SPF boards. A fistful of 1" and 1-5/8" screws. Two scraps of plywood triangles.

I intend to place a 20L tank on top and a 29 tank on the bottom. I have two 20Ls in the picture for reference. Also, I will have a sump or refugium inside the cabinet to add volume for a healthy system. This third tank will probably be a bucket or plastic tub -- something cheap since it is hidden. All these tanks will cascade from one to the next, and a sump will lift water back to the top.

I said I only used some basic tools, so I'll list them here: circular saw for the plywood, straight edge with the circular saw, hand saw, hand miter saw, miter block, cordless screwdriver, carpenter's square, tape measure, and a pencil. When I picked up the plywood at the Home Depot, I had them make a few cuts to the major dimensions I needed. This saved me a lot of time. Lining up the straight edge and making the cuts with the circular saw took about an hour and a half to do since I was being very careful to make my cuts accurately. Despite my extra care, I still screwed up a couple cuts a little. You'd never know if I didn't tell you. I used the miter block and hand tools to cut the 1x4 because I live in an apartment and don't want to disturb the neighbors too much with the noise of the circular saw. Plus, I don't have to to to my garage to use a handsaw.

I'm disappointed by the exposed edge of the plywood; it detracts a lot from the oak veneer. I knew it was going to happen, but I was limited by the tools I had. I'll come back later and redo the edges when I get access to a router and other tools to add a solid oak edge band. I didn't use any glue during the assembly because I expected to take it apart later for this rework job. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but I think it is OK as it is. Have you been to a Chipotle and seen all the exposed edges on their birch veneer plywood designs?

One thing I notice with folks' DIY stands is that they overbuild them. Just peek inside the commercial stands and realize that you need a lot less structure than you think. My design depends on the strength of the plywood and 1x4s. Although a stand built with 4x4s and other big members will be more rigid, it would be heavier and cost more for materials. This wooden structure only weighs 30 lbs or so. I can stand on it, so it is plenty strong and rigid.

I have zero access to the inside of this stand from the front or side, but the back is open. I'm going to have to think hard about how I expect to service any of the equipment inside if I place it against the wall...

I'll start a tank journal for this project also. I'll post a link in a while, so head on over there for more info on what I'm doing.

See less See more
#2 ·
One thing I notice with folks' DIY stands is that they overbuild them. Just peek inside the commercial stands and realize that you need a lot less structure than you think. My design depends on the strength of the plywood and 1x4s. Although a stand built with 4x4s and other big members will be more rigid, it would be heavier and cost more for materials. This wooden structure only weighs 30 lbs or so. I can stand on it, so it is plenty strong and rigid.

I have zero access to the inside of this stand from the front or side, but the back is open. I'm going to have to think hard about how I expect to service any of the equipment inside if I place it against the wall...

I'm guilty of drastically over-building stands myself. That said, I'm a little concerned that most of your stand doesn't have direct vertical support - It looks like the back of the top tank has direct wood-on-top-of-wood support all the way from the tank to the floor, but from your pics it doesn't look like the front of the top tank, or any of the lower tank enjoy this. As it's presented in the pics, it looks like a lot of the weight of the tanks is going to be supported solely by the shear strength of the screws, and that's not something I'd be comfortable supporting possibly dozens of gallons of potential water damage on.

As to access to the inside, once you provide suitable supporting, you could use something like a sabre saw to cut panels out of the plywood twixt the supports, and then reattach them as doors.

#8 ·
It looks like the back of the top tank has direct wood-on-top-of-wood support all the way from the tank to the floor, but from your pics it doesn't look like the front of the top tank, or any of the lower tank enjoy this. As it's presented in the pics, it looks like a lot of the weight of the tanks is going to be supported solely by the shear strength of the screws, and that's not something I'd be comfortable supporting possibly dozens of gallons of potential water damage on.
Yea! I know what you guys mean!

That extra element was in my sketch, but I bought one 1x4 too few at the HD. Just for kicks, I did sit on top. I weigh about the same as a 20L full of water and gravel. It did survive, but that's just a short-term test.

Actually, right now I'm debating putting this additional jack stud (if I can use framing terminology) perpendicular to the plane of the plywood to get more stiffness against the thing racking. To do that, I'd want to use a Kreg joint system, but I loaned mine out and won't get it back for a couple months. Actually, there were a lot of parts on this cabinet I would have loved to use my Kreg kit on. I am not paid for advertising Kreg.:red_mouth

As to access to the inside, once you provide suitable supporting, you could use something like a sabre saw to cut panels out of the plywood twixt the supports, and then reattach them as doors.
Good idea. It's pretty narrow (12.5" and 25", top section and bottom respectively), and working from a small hole will be challenging.

Another idea I'm having is removing the front plywood sheet and building it onto a deep drawer that slides out from underneath the 29. I'd put my sump container and all the equipment in this drawer. All the cords and tubes would need plenty of slack and flexibility to move in and out. This would be tricky.

Ultimately, I think I'm going to put this cabinet perpendicular to a wall and keep access to the back. Maybe I'll use my plywood scraps to put some doors on it.

The reason I was sharing this build was because I thought it was something new, and a demonstration that you could put something together without master woodworking tools. I can't pay good money for furniture any more. The materials and construction quality are no better than this stuff I throw together in my garage. And you can too!

#3 ·
I am not an expert on building stands either. But from the looks of it I have to agree that it needs some more vertical support. At least a vertical support on the upper front edge of the tank. At the moment only the rear is supported.

I am a little cautious of the tanks held on soley by screws (assuming its the right type of screw), but I am now a fan of wood glue. The bottom tank can use some support as well. Especially because the main wait isnt on the side plywood, its just inside of them that isnt that strong.

Perhaps if some of your upper support braces that connect to the vertical support brraces were interconnected it would help with strength.

#9 ·
That stand is fine... most pet shop stands are 3/8 particle board. You didn't mention what grade the plywood is, but it doesn't really matter since even the lowest grades of plywood are more than sufficient to support those tanks. I would only be concerned with buckling of the tall sides, and the 1" x 4"s take care of that issue.

Here's some specifications on typical laminated woods, it's a bit technical but has everything necessary to do your own calculations if wanted.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_12.pdf

#11 ·
That stand is fine... most pet shop stands are 3/8 particle board.
When I built my first cabinet (a lot nicer than this one), I surveyed all the cabinets the LFSs had, and quickly came to the realization that it doesn't take much structure to make a stand that is strong enough. In fact, I saw many stands that used plywood for the entire structure. That made me scratch my head a while until I had to admit that it ought to work as well as dimensional lumber. Of course it does! Just look at all your furniture from Ikea!

Why I think people end up building stronger stands is because they want rigidity. I think the human mind perceives rigidity as strength, when in fact, flexible structures can be as strong or stronger. Maybe this goes back to the development of our monkey brains to test if tree branches can hold our weight. The difference is that rigid things are typically 10-100 times stronger than what is required to prevent structural failure. Rigidity >> Strength.

Also, Indychus, I can definitely use that reference on composites. It looks like a good read for a technical guy like me.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I could talk about the merits of overbuilding a cabinet to make it more rigid compared to how little material you need to make it strong enough for the load, but it would take a while to write something that would be useful to a general audience.

I won't argue with anybody who wants me to beef up this stand. There's nothing wrong with that perspective. However, I plan on moving one or two more times and don't want to make this thing too heavy.

#13 ·
Sounds like it should work.

As to the sump on a drawer bit, I don't think the cords/hoses should be much of a problem. Might help if you use some sort of clip or something to hold them to the frame where they enter/exit the sump/aquarium, so that way all the flex/slack stays out of the tank/sump, and just hangs out in the inside of the stand.

I really like the kreg pockethole jig. I borrowed one from the local tool-lending library a couple times, and then went and bought my own. pretty easy to use, and really useful for some otherwise difficult joints.

#17 ·
One other thing. Your plywood is cut wrong. The grain should run top to bottom not front to back. And it's not just cosmetic. Although plywood has multiple plys it is stronger in one direction. That direction happens to be with the grain, just like solid wood. As has been said: Glue is your best friend.

BTW if you had used 3/4" plywood and proper joinery the 1 x 4s would not have been need for anything except trim and you wouldn't have needed a single screw.

You're putting a 29 in front. And a sump inside. How will you access the sump?

#19 ·
If there is a complete frame of the 1x4s on the inside, the plywood will effectively just be cosmetic, with some reinforcement against racking. But, yeah, you can do a stand with just plywood, and have a quite strong one at that. I don't have the precision to cut stuff that accurately my self, but for those who do, they can build a simpler stand with fewer materials, and have it come out quite strong and nice looking.

#28 ·
Here's what I've been up to the past couple months with this multi-tank stand (MTS... haha).

Up top is a 20L grow-out tank of sorts for an Anubias coffeefolia and a couple Java Fern rhizomes I had left over. What we got here is inert substrate, 60W equivalent LED in a shop lamp light, HOB... a quick-and-dirty tank setup to get momentum built back up on this project. Right now it has 11 neon tetras, but it previously held my 6 Torquoise Rainbowfish for quarantine. This tank won't stay in this setup for much longer.

Check out the little Java Fern plantlets growing on the roots off of this rhizome... this is the only one I've seen this happen with.

You'll notice that I have Peace Lilies sprouting out of the tops of both these tanks. That's an experiment I started about a month ago with the suction cup planters I got from Riparium Supply. So far so good. There's new leaf growth and I see the roots growing/working their way through the media. These plants represent 1/2 of the plants I thinned out of a Peace Lilly pot I bought for $8.99 or something from one of the big home improvement stores. I plan to supplement with more planters made with similar-looking clear acrylic suction shower things I found at Meijer in the bathroom section. They're big and are shaped like a fat slice of pie to fit into the corner. I'll have to get some more plant species to try out with this. (I should document this and share if I remember.)

My intention is to have more riparium plants in the top tank to add to the height. I'm going for the most use of the vertical space.

On the bottom we have another 20L with dirt and a Flourite Black gravel cap (kinda silly, but I had the Flourite already). Sponge filter, 50W heater, and two 60W equivalent LED bulbs in some reconfigured spotlight fixtures. I'm not happy with how the bulbs stick out of the fixtures... I don't think I used the appropriate bulb size.

The dirt on the bottom is Miracle Grow Organic Choice Garden Soil (never again... too much wood) with a little less than a pound of Amaco Mexican Red Clay broken into little balls and mixed in somewhat. Tannins leaching were way higher than I expected... needed 2x 50% water changes each week or more to keep up with tannins for the first ~6 weeks and I have reduced to weekly changes. Using RO water at 6 degrees of hardness with Equilibrium, and weekly doses of 2mL Seachem Flourish for micro-nutrients.

I planted relatively heavily in the beginning. I got most of my plants for the bottom tank from Dustin at Aquatic Jungles out of appreciation for his prolific YouTube videos; they include an unidentified Sword, Jungle Vals, Dwarf Sag., Anubias (barteri?), rotala, and some Water Sprite or something that didn't make it. The Jungle Vals are all rotting off at the substrate level and floating away, and I don't know why. I added from my LFS a bunch of crypts that completely melted and are sheepishly growing back, plus a clump of Myriophyllum mattogrossense that melted but is regrowing from the tips of the stems. These last two plant species look like hell, but I'm going to give them their time.

My plants from Aquatic Jungles arrived just before I went on a week vacation back in August. So, I let them float in the top tank because the bottom one didn't even have water in it. While they were floating around up there with the Turquoise Rainbows, the 'bows must have gotten frisky and scattered an egg or two that I must have transferred to the bottom tank. About two weeks ago I found a tiny fry wiggling around while I was removing plant debris and wood bits during a water change. He must be chowing down on all the wee beasties in the newly-dirted tank.

My next steps are to move that top tank somewhere else, move the bottom tank up top, and rebuild one of my 29 gallon tanks to sit down in the bottom spot (notice the gap between the tanks that ought to reduce with the taller 29 tank). I got a submersible sump pump and built some overflow plumbing to tie the tanks together with a hidden 10 gallon tank behind the stand as a sump. The overflow system worked great in my tests, but I'm not ready to tie the tanks together quite yet. I'll put off showing the plumbing for another post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.