DIY CO2 Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

DIY CO2 Question

Hi all, as you can see here i have a DIY co2 system set up, the two bottles with the red caps are 1.75 gallon and the bottle with the white cap is going to be used as my drop checker.

I have two questions regarding my setup.

1. How would I go about changing or reusing bottles when the mixture has had it's "run" and need to revamp the mixture. In other words how to i switch bottles without losing pressure to the system?

2. I am in need of a diffuser, I have seen various options out there but am looking for something good that I don't have to stick another pump or intake into my tank.

Obviously I have a check valve from the drop checker to my tank, but I am unsure with some of the minor details that I need for my DIY setup.

Also as far as a mixture I am open to suggestions!

Thank you for looking

TECK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECKSPEED View Post
Hi all, as you can see here i have a DIY co2 system set up, the two bottles with the red caps are 1.75 gallon and the bottle with the white cap is going to be used as my drop checker.

I have two questions regarding my setup.

1. How would I go about changing or reusing bottles when the mixture has had it's "run" and need to revamp the mixture. In other words how to i switch bottles without losing pressure to the system?

2. I am in need of a diffuser, I have seen various options out there but am looking for something good that I don't have to stick another pump or intake into my tank.

Obviously I have a check valve from the drop checker to my tank, but I am unsure with some of the minor details that I need for my DIY setup.

Also as far as a mixture I am open to suggestions!

Thank you for looking

TECK
have a couple more bottle ready with water and sugar already mixed. add your yeast when you're ready to switch. As to not loosing pressure you will because you have to unscrew the used up bottles but to minimize this just bend the hose and clamp it b4 you unscrew. For diffuser, get a ceramic disk diffuser. its the next best thing to a reactor and is small enough to hide behind your plants
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Planted Member

nevermind about the hose bending. you already have the check valve to do that for you
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Plant Clown

You can also add check valves just above each of the red lids to help minimize pressure loss during switches.

If you're really planning on doing this long-term (with DIY, there is honestly rarely a "long-term"), you might want to alternate. Start one, wait a week, start the other, wait until you start seeing a decrease, then switch one, etc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

CO2 Nano Diffuser Not Working.

The Junkie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Diffuser on DIY is a bad idea. Too much pressure needed. If you can't abide by a Hagen Elite or other pump in the tank then use an air stone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Diffuser on DIY is a bad idea. Too much pressure needed. If you can't abide by a Hagen Elite or other pump in the tank then use an air stone.
It works fine. Check the link above.

The Junkie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode