Yet another DIY canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Robotguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 250
Yet another DIY canister filter

I've been collecting cool looking glassware from the local university surplus, and came upon some very interesting 3-port jars this week. I've got a new Mini-M with a HOB that I'm just not happy with, so I thought I'd try to convert one of these jars into a tiny canister filter:







I'm still letting the epoxy and silicone finish curing, so I haven't been able to check if it's water-tight yet, but I've got my fingers crossed.
Robotguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
Hahahahaaha thats cool
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15,790
Normally you shouldn't rely on glue for sealing things under pressure but for something so small, it could work out in the long run


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mistergreen is online now  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Robotguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 250
Actually it was the compression fitting at the top that leaked. I never really expected to use it, so no big loss. Merely practicing my DIY skills and adding to the TPT list of 1000 ways NOT to make a canister filter. We've gotta be getting close...

I'm actually headed back out the the garage to try again with a 4.75" diameter x 9" piece of acrylic tube I've been dying to mess with for months. I don't expect that one to work either so I just bought a Hydor Prime 10 on Amazon.
Robotguy is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: wa state
Posts: 363
When I heard diy canister filter, all I could think of was great...another thin bucket disaster waiting to happen. But this right looks like it would work out fine! I would use threading teflon tape on all the threads though
R.sok is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Robotguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 250
So here's a peek at attempt 2. It actually doesn't leak when I turn it upside down and shake it vigorously.





Although, since I actually ordered a Hydor Prime 10, I think I may turn this into an aquatic vacuum cleaner. Something with a decent little hose (covered with a screen to keep from vacuuming aqua soil), some mechanical filtering and a return so that a good cleaning of the tank doesn't necessarily mean a water change.
Robotguy is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,116
Ha! Look nice

The best DIY canister filter I seen is the one I build back in 1998
Using plastics glass. Don't have any pic of the filter but I still have the design of the filter in those big floppy disk. Lol
In.a.Box is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
Robotguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.a.Box View Post
Ha! Look nice

The best DIY canister filter I seen is the one I build back in 1998
Using plastics glass. Don't have any pic of the filter but I still have the design of the filter in those big floppy disk. Lol
Thanks!

Here's the progress for today:


The inflow and outflow pipes are just cemented in with Weld-on #16 (I'm all out of #4).

For the pump cord, I cut a 1/4" long section of 1/2" ID acrylic tube, glued a flat bottom on it and glued all of that under a 3/8" hole in the lid. Then I drilled a hole the size of the cord in the little flat bottom, and pulled the cord through. This left a "well" where the cord passed through the lid which I filled with Weld-on. Hopefully that 1/2" long plug of new acrylic will seal around the cord. I'm letting all of the weld-on set for 24 hours before testing anything.
Robotguy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome