The Planted Tank Forum banner

Thoughts on a DIY light project

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Redtail84 
#1 ·
I'm currently using a 30" three bulb incandescent light fixture and a 20" two bulb incadescent light fixture (both fixtures have daylight CFL bulbs in them) on my 20 long, and I find it a bit unsightly. I'm thinking of building a canopy for the tank. I just can't decide what I want to do. I was thinking of simply wiring in a few incandescent fixtures and keeping the current bulbs. They are inexpensive and easy to find, plus they allow me to change up my wattage if needed. However, I've been contemplating installing a 3-4 bulb flourescent fixture because I'm finding that the set up will cost just about the same amount with ballast and all necessary equipment. Today, I came across a few 65W power compact retro fit kits that, once again, would run about the same price for the build. I'm on a budget, so LED is out. What do you all think about the ideas here as far as simplicity, and versatility?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.