A Complete Idiot's guide to make an LED lighting unit - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: FoCo, CO
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Definitely...it looks good as does the tank.
Thank you
sumer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: FoCo, CO
Posts: 796
I was just wondering- Does this journal helped anyone in understanding or DIYing a LED unit ?
sumer is offline  
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Latvia, EU
Posts: 861
theoretically, green light is better to compensate for reds and blues.
white led consists of several(usually 2) spectrum spikes which in fact might be poor on green color. and while emitted light appears white and strong to human eye, it might reflect poorly from green surface(plants). in other words you might get blind from strong white light when looking directly at that led, but when directing it to plant it might look dimm because of green spectrum absense
im currently waiting for ordered leds to experiment more with this white vs green led thing on my DIY plant led setup.

PS. you did awesome job there
dzega is offline  
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Planted Member
 
EngineChauffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 151
Fantastic write up! This will definitely be my go-to post if/when I decide to DIY LED. Your plants are beautiful!

Great job and thanks for sharing!
EngineChauffer is offline  
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
theblondskeleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 545
A Complete Idiot's guide to make an LED lighting unit

Great build! I LOVE my MakersLED heat sinks. I have changed things up a couple of times and I'm so glad I'm able to tinker with it. Nice job
theblondskeleton is offline  
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: FoCo, CO
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
theoretically, green light is better to compensate for reds and blues.
white led consists of several(usually 2) spectrum spikes which in fact might be poor on green color. and while emitted light appears white and strong to human eye, it might reflect poorly from green surface(plants). in other words you might get blind from strong white light when looking directly at that led, but when directing it to plant it might look dimm because of green spectrum absense
im currently waiting for ordered leds to experiment more with this white vs green led thing on my DIY plant led setup.

PS. you did awesome job there
I know what you are saying. And for the same reason I added 2 OCW LEDs in my unit. OCWs have red, cyan and green in them. And I think thats the thing which is helping my plants a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineChauffer View Post
Fantastic write up! This will definitely be my go-to post if/when I decide to DIY LED. Your plants are beautiful!

Great job and thanks for sharing!
Thank you. Glad you liked it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Great build! I LOVE my MakersLED heat sinks. I have changed things up a couple of times and I'm so glad I'm able to tinker with it. Nice job
Thanks. Yeah Its kind of a big investment at first but later you find that how helpful it is.
sumer is offline  
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: FoCo, CO
Posts: 796
6718 views !!
So it IS helping
I'm glad that it is helpful.
sumer is offline  
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
sumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: FoCo, CO
Posts: 796
11,205 views.
Wow.. If you came here and it helped you, please drop a comment. I would love to read if it really worked or not.
And yeah about my unit, its working fantastic. I have dismantled my planted tank but I have a tanganyikan setup in the same tank.
My tangs love the sunrise/sunset effect.
See the vid-


sumer is offline  
Reply

Tags
diy, led, makers led

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome