The Planted Tank Forum banner

24" to 48" t5ho retrofit can I do it.

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Sethjohnson30 
#1 ·
I have an old reef fixture with 4x24" t5ho and a 150w mh and 12 led moonlights I paid 100 bucks for it a couple years ago but I really have no use for it(especially all the actinics)now

I have a 72g tank with a dual t8 shoplight fixture over it. I need more light the t8's are not cutting it.

I have no money to put into this project
But I do have some 48" t5ho bulbs

Can I use the parts out of this fixture to make a dual t5ho 48" light.

This will just be a temp light until I can afford a ray II, I don't want to put any money into this project. I have all the nessecary tools soldering iron, but connectors and a spool of 16g wire.

I'm assuming there's 4 ballast? For the t5's? Would I have to connect 2 to run a 48"?

I have no clue how this stuff works lol
Any help would be great

See less See more
#5 ·
You could take it apart and see how it's wired. If each set of two bulbs are wired in series, basically then say each bulb is 20w, then it's shooting 40w through the whole system. Remove tw of the caps go end to end it would end up at 40w (numbers are just an example). It just depends on how it's wired. If it's in parallel, it probably won't work, if it's series, it should.

Should is the key word. lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.