The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mr clean magic eraser does the job !

7K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Seattle_Aquarist 
#1 ·
I'm sure many of you do this already and I'm actually mad at myself for not discovering this sooner as it would have saved a lot of time and effort in the past! I used a mr clean magic eraser to clean the glass on my tank today because I was too lazy to walk upstairs and get the usual micro fiber rag for cleaning the outside of my tanks with. To my amazement it cleaned the glass to a sparkling look ! I then decided to use a new one for the inside and it cleaned the algae off with no effort at all!
I then decided to clean the glass lids that had developed hard water residue on , now it did not take it all off but it did clean the glass again to a sparkly finish where you can barely see the water residue. I'm sure if I had time to soak the glass in vinegar and then try with the magic eraser, it would eventually come off ! Anyway I hope if you are not already using this product , you will give it a try .

#4 ·
Safe inside the tank with delicate shrimp, too?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
Yep it seems the original erasers are safe... I wouldn't use the lavender scented one though ;-)

#8 ·
Your saying that with on a tank with fish, shrimp, plants and everything up and running that you can use the original one to clean the inside of the tank? It just seems that there would be something in a eraser that would mess up the water quality.

#16 ·
I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't, but micro abrasive sponges like these break down during use leaving behind small micro pieces of foam.

I would be hesitant to use these in an aquarium. I use them in other hobbies that I have so I do know that they do in fact break down.

Again, just my opinion, but I'd be reluctant to use them in an aquarium that is setup and working with fish, shrimp, and other animals in it.

#19 ·
+1 for stevenjohn21's suggestion. I was out on Sunday and picked up Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original and tried them on a tank that had some stubborn GSA/GDA. It worked great, much easier than most algae pads. Then I tried in on my 20+ yo Versa-top. It did well on the typical water spots but I still had to use a single edge razor blade scraper to remove the stubborn calcium deposits.

#21 ·
+1 for stevenjohn21's suggestion. I was out on Sunday and picked up Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original and tried them on a tank that had some stubborn GSA/GDA. It worked great, much easier than most algae pads. Then I tried in on my 20+ yo Versa-top. It did well on the typical water spots but I still had to use a single edge razor blade scraper to remove the stubborn calcium deposits.

use hydroloric acid on the versa top, it will look mint condition after that.

#20 ·
I use clean paper towel folded into fourth's on inside glass each week (doesn't allow build up) if cleaned each week.
Use same on outside glass with glass cleaner (not on inside).
Stopped using algae magnet's when I went to sand substrate's (too easy for sand to get into magnet type scrubber's.
May give the Mr. clean block's a try, they sure don't clean crap in kitchen or bath.

#26 ·
may i say 'i love you' ... that magnet thing SUCKS... it's to big (i have SMALL) tanks ... this is great!!!!!

#27 ·
Can you cut a piece off with scissors?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.