The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY CO2 questions

9K views 59 replies 19 participants last post by  ADJAquariums 
#1 ·
Alright so... I need a little help, ive got airline tubing, check vaulve and bottles to house the yeast and such, the only question is how much of water and yeast do i need for my tank, it is a 40 gallon and im going to use an airstone as my diffuser, any help would be much apperciated, thanks.

#42 ·
I have a DIY CO2 system currently set up on my heavily planted 60 gal. I rotate 3 bottles typically changing one out about every 2 weeks, meaning my formula is generating CO2 effectively for approximately 5 weeks. In the beginning I added the first bottle. I waited a week and added the second bottle. After my growth increased and my drop checker indicated that additional co2 was required I added the 3rd bottle to the rotation. My formula is...
~1 tsp bakers yeast
2 cups sugar
2 Tsp Molasses
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup whey protein
3 drops dechlorinator (sp?)
For a 2 liter bottle, I have used this formula in 2 1 liter bottles on smaller systems with different rotational needs.

Yeast can be activated and produce CO2 both anaerobic and aerobic. We are trying to utilize the anaerobic process. So the less exposure to air the better. What I do is mix everything except the yeast in warm water. To ensure that everything is dissolved. I then add it to the bottle and add cold to Luke warm water to fill to a little below the top of the label. At that time I put the yeast with some Luke water. I squeeze the bottle so that the mixture raises to just below the top. Then I add the yeast water mix quickly screw the cap on the bottle, while it is still squeezed. Clap the tubing exiting the top until it is added to the system. You need to shake the bottle either before or after you connect it to the system, while still squeezed. This will produce a surge of CO2 which will more than expand the bottle.

Diffusing can be effectively achieved by placing the end of the CO2 tubing in a large glass applesauce jar and propping it between the side of the aquarium and the outlet of a power head. You can use a smaller jar if necessary. The jar may have to be angled so that no bubbles escape. I am currently using a ISTA max reactor which I purchased online for $10. I have it on the out going side of my canister right before my spray bar. It works great!

I have aeration on a timer turning on 30 min before the lights go out and turning off 30 mins before they come on. The CO2 runs continuously.

Sorry to be so lengthy, and there are a million ways that are all right. This is just what works for me.

#45 ·
Alright Bringing this Bad Boy back for a Third time, again help is needed. I have decided to start this up again. And i want to do it Right. Last time it just didn't go well so i just sort of quit. The first thing i would like to know is what is one of the best options for a DIY Diffuser? I don't want anything rediculously complicated but something that works well. I have contimplated hooking up the Airline tubing to one of my HOB filters and diffusing it that way.

#53 ·
I'm Back! with more questions too... I FINALLY have time to do what i want with my tank, so i'm thinking about actually doing CO2 right now, i have checked with my local chinese place and they said i Have to be in store to get the chopsticks and they wont do it on delievery, i have no clue why.

I can do an HOB setup, i could do a canister setup, what do you guys think would be the best here? im interested in doing the HOB setup but im not adversed to any ideas you guys/gals have.

#57 ·
Since i already have a canister (fluval 206) can i use that? may seem a bit of a basic question but i dont know... Anyways wheres the best place to start when doing that? put it into the intake and let it go through the canister?

#60 ·
Ok, With the reactor setup, what is probably the best design you guys/gals have seen/used? i want something that i can build but im not truely adverse to purchasing one i guess, If i want to do it right it could come down to that. Im not the biggest fan of the soda bottles due to aesthetic reasons but i cuess i can somehow hide it, possibly within my stand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.