Good sealer for leaky bulkhead - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Exclamation Good sealer for leaky bulkhead

So i bought a used 120g acrylic and it has a leaky (unused) bulkhead. its as tight as its going to get and i tried high grade silicone but it still will leak (just a drop every few seconds). i drained it and am wondering what chemical bonding agent or adhesive should i use on the back of the tank around the bulkhead?

-Matt

110g High "The Commune"
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html

The great 'rummey vs neon' debacle of O'11:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...y-vs-neon.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Algae Grower

I'm assuming you removed the bulkhead and placed the silicone between the bulkhead and the glass on the inside of the tank? Whatever is plugging the bulkhead is well sealed?

I think your best option is to purchase a new seal for the bulkhead, or remove it and glue a piece of acrylic over the hole.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm also confused on how you siliconed. Silicon should not leak so you didn't get the spot that's leaking. If you do silicon a piece of glass over the hole, I'd say it's better to do it on the outside, the pressure ect will be better. Actually silicon doesn't bond to acrylic does it? I don't know. Does your bulkhead have that tape stuff plumbers use around threads? On glass tanks if you tighten the bulkhead too much you can cause the tank to crack. Just things to be wary of. Sorry I couldn't help that much.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i will just buy a new bulkhead tomorrow, this tank was set up and i was just about to start up the equipment when i noticed the leak. it got progressively worse, in a rush to stop or at least slow the leaking i siliconed the back side of the bulkhead where it was leaking but it didnt bond well while it was wet, i didnt want to empty the tank but i guess i have to. so tomorrow i will get either a new seal or a new bulkhead depending on what the issue is once i take a closer look with the bulkhead off. I was just hoping i could do a fast easy fix with some sort of fast acting adhesive thats more permanent than silicone.

-Matt

110g High "The Commune"
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html

The great 'rummey vs neon' debacle of O'11:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...y-vs-neon.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

try using a silicon grease. You can find it at home depot near the faucet parts. It's a light blue package containing a small gray tub the size of a quarter. I've used it to seal a number of leaky bulkheads.

Garrett Brueland

The Fraternity of Dirt #52
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Storrisch do they eventually leak again? I sealed mine with petroleum jelly in a pinch, ha. It just seems like any kind of gel no matter what it's made for would eventually leak?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

SiliCONE will not bond to acrylic. If you want to seal it permanently (and I mean permanently) use Weld-On acrylic glue. Super glue will also work. You can source Weld-On at any plastic distributor and even some sign shops will hip you a spot if you ask nicely. Silicone will peel right off and leave you a mess.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

as a temporary fix you can use aquarium munster ORCA glue
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
SiliCONE will not bond to acrylic. If you want to seal it permanently (and I mean permanently) use Weld-On acrylic glue. Super glue will also work. You can source Weld-On at any plastic distributor and even some sign shops will hip you a spot if you ask nicely. Silicone will peel right off and leave you a mess.
You shouldn't need any silicone around your bulkheads especially on an acrylic tank.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode