The Planted Tank Forum banner

Showing off my new macro lens!!!

3K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Geniusdudekiran 
#1 ·
So, I got a new macro lens, please let me know how they look and what I can do to make them even better. Here are the pictures:

You all are probably thinking I got it for Christmas, but here's the catch: I actually made it. It's made of a DVD rom lens (for burning discs), some cardboard, and 2 small magnets. Yes, I have DVD drives just laying around, I used to make a lot of lasers. But the magnets came off of the carriage that holds the diodes and slides on the rails for reading and burning. So in my opinion, what's cool about it is that it just is made of a rolled up piece of cardboard and everything else comes from the drive. And, it magnetically attaches to my phone. How do you guys think it matches up against a pro macro lens?

See less See more
#30 ·
I do have much better setup, a DSLR camera and a 180mm macro lens, but once in a while my DSLR is not ready, I only need to the pull out my phone and a "macro lens" from my pocket, and take some macro pictures.

just found the answer on these cell phone attached lenses, and there are more available in full range: fish eye, wide angle, long range, macro... lenses!

try photojojo, the seller on evil bay.

#33 ·
Nick, are my fish doing ok? lol

it is a pita to change the water try to lower the TDS, damn tank has never done any water change since November 2010, and RCS had stop breeding a couple month ago due to high TDS.
will get the water change done in a couple days and take the altum home.

Of course, then will make a DIY lens and try it on my phone, will see how those altum look in my phone pictures.

#34 ·
The thing is Kiran, that homemade lens? Probably better quality, no, it is better quality, than the cell phone lens you're holding it in front of. In this case megapixels really don't matter because cell phone lenses are garbage to start with.

Good idea with nice implementation and pretty decent shots by the way.

#35 ·
Thank you! I really do like it and was pleasantly surprised with the magnification AND focus -- I can take much better pictures with it than these. It's just REALLY hard to take pictures of shrimp because one minute movement the shrimp makes can really mess up the focus.

With a steady hand, I can take a perfect picture of my fingerprint, which is really cool. I also had this microprocessor chip from an IBM Z10 Mainframe computer, with 993 MILLION transistors, and it is really cool underneath this lens. I might upload pics later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.