DIY light stand/hood Idea - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
DIY light stand/hood Idea

Ok, So I am trying to create a stand for my lights and I have gone through a few designs but I am still struggling to figure one it.

My stand won't permit doing an ADA style stand, the top of the table is not flush with the legs.

I was thinking of doing a "piggyback" idea, I don't really know if this would work but I am going to try my best to explain the idea and see if you guys can understand.

Basically I would take some 1/2 pipe (got lots of copper) and make a large "G" shape out of it with my pipe bender. I would make it so that the bottom of the G would sit flush with the bottom of my table and the top of the g would hang over and grab the rim of my tank. From there I would simply run a T joint at the top of my G to make a 90degree curve piece of copper to suspend my lights from?

After typing this all out I am sure it sounds bloody confusing but the best way i can think of it, is essentially a table clamp baby chair, but for my lights?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could try something like that.

I've also done this kind of mount without the lag bolt and t nut mounts also. Just bent the rod and zapstrapped it to the back of my stand. You can also do this with copper pipe or pretty much any other material you wish to use.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru
It is pretty easy to just attach the pipes or conduits supporting the light to the back of the stand. Since the light will hang on small chains or cables you can raise or lower the light with the chain/cable adjustments.

Don't underestimate how much the pipes/conduits that support the light will bend with the weight of the light. Small diameter pipe, like 1/2" tubing, for example, will bend too much to be very useful. PVC pipe/conduit tends to bend too much also. Even the smallest steel conduit can bend enough to not look good.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
conduit will not work for me, my stand just doesn't work with a conduit style.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
I'd like to help you out, I love trying to solve weird diy problems, but I have no idea what you are talking about with G's, and baby chairs (no offense) Could you put your idea into a powerpoint, sketchup, paint, etc. and post a pic?

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty
DIY Asian themed aquarium stand
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru
The top of the stand overhangs the legs, right? What about attaching lengths of wood as wide as that overhang to the legs and attaching the conduit to that? If the over hang is less than 1.5" then a 2x4 attached flat to the legs of the stand would work perfectly. If you beveled the spacers or made them the length of the legs it would look cleaner from the side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode